Marshall Power brake

Kaffirlime
Kaffirlime
02/03/2006 11:20 pm
Anyone had experience with these. Reason I ask is I picked up the guitar again last year after a twenty-five year lapse and am having great fun 're-learning' how to play (It's not like riding a bike - your fingers DO forget how to play chords). Anyway I've been playing through my computer with a guitar port which I think is a fantastic bit of kit but I really would like to get a proper valve amp again (I used to own an original 60s AC30). I'm having problems deciding whether to buy a Laney VC30 or a Fender Deluxe Blues re-issue (I'm British and live down the road from the Laney factory so feel I should be loyal to them but I mainly play blues and love the idea of a Fender amp) - Anyway what amp I end up getting is a whole different question (but if anyone has had the opportunity to try both i'd welcome your opinion) - the real issue is that whichever amp I end up getting will be far TOO loud to play fully cranked at home which is why i'm interested in the Marshall power brake. If I believe the Marshall blurb it will allow me to fully cook my amp but still play at low volume. Does it really work without sucking tone? Are there any other issues with a Marshall power brake that I should be aware of or is it just a great bit of kit? Are there any other alternatives out there (suggestions such as buying and living on my own island are not what I'm looking for here).

Thanks
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/04/2006 12:39 am
Hey, I have one and it is great !

I have it between a Marshall TSL100 and a 4x12 cab. I can use it in the house with out getting visits from the local constabulary which is more than worth the ticket price !

Oh and welcome back to guitar playing land, I took a break several years ago and have really enjoyed getting back into it !

If you have been out of the guitar loop for a bit you may also want to check out www.line6.com. They make some great kit though the do charge top dollar prices !

I have a Podpro, a Basspod pro and a Pod-xt and think they are great.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
02/04/2006 2:01 am
Personally, I would go with a THD Hot Plate, over the Powerbreak. But, before you listen to me, know that I have no experience with either. I'm strictly basing that off what I've heard from people and specs. You might also want to check out a Weber Mass attenuator. They're supposed to be really good too. I just couldn't stomach paying the Marshall price when there are better for less out there.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 3
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
02/04/2006 2:49 am
+1 on the thd. Its been toted as the best right now.
WWSD? What would stevie do?
# 4
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/04/2006 4:19 am
I thought (and LATS may correct me here) that the devices that reduced the input voltage buggered up your tubes / reduced tube life span ?

This was one of the reasons I went with the powerbreak. I have heard people whining that they suck tone however I have never had a problem and have (IMHO) tone to spare !
# 5
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/04/2006 4:59 am
Some amps use a technique called 'power scaling' on the output power tubes to allow lower-volume playing with full-power sound. It reduces all of the voltages (except the heater filament) by the same proportions, so (in theory at least) it should distort in the same way, while making less power. This technique will actually extend tube life, because they are dissipating less power when they work at lower voltages.

Attenuators connect between the amp output and the speakers. You can crank the amp full-pin into the device's input, but only a small portion of that power is passed along to the speakers. Blues players lose a lot of the 'touch' with this rig, but it keeps the neighbors peacefully unaware. Placing an attenuator between the amp and the speakers will reduce some of the 'springy' response that lets a bluesman ride the edge of power-tube distortion. If your tone is mostly derived from pedals or pre-amp distortion, an attenuator is a wonderful thing. I recommend the Weber MASS as the best of the bunch. They get high marks from even some of the most notorious cork-sniffin' tone purists.

One caveat: Because an attenuator allows you to reduce the sound level while pushing the amp hard, you will probably push the amp hard more often. This will definitely impose a harder life on your tubes, and they will die more quickly. The attenuator doesn't harm your tubes. Playing with the amp cranked all the time is what does it in.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6
Kaffirlime
Kaffirlime
02/04/2006 9:52 am
Thanks for all your help guys. Maybe because I'm in England and we get whacked pricewise for American products but the Marshall actually works out much cheaper than a THD Hotplate. Typically i can pick up a power brake for about Ā£180 ($317) whereas a THD will cost me Ā£250 ($440). The weber mass looks like an interesting piece of kit and judging by the american dollar prices should be quite a bit cheaper - unfortunately I don't thnink they have a UK distributor. For anyone else who is interested in the Weber though there is an interesting review here http://www.legendarytones.com/mass_attenuator.htm
# 7
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/04/2006 1:02 pm
I know www.music123.com and www.musiciansfriend.com will ship to the UK however you may get killed with the shipping charges if you want it in a hurry !
# 8
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
02/04/2006 1:39 pm
Don't you get a similar effect by cranking the master volume and lowering the channel volume?
Try once,fail twice...
# 9
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/04/2006 5:19 pm
Originally Posted by: chucklivesoninmyheartDon't you get a similar effect by cranking the master volume and lowering the channel volume?

If your amp uses a power scaling circuit, you can get crunch at low levels. Old amps like my 1977 Ampeg VT-40 just clean up as they get quieter.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 10
Kaffirlime
Kaffirlime
02/04/2006 5:55 pm
Originally Posted by: Dr_simonI know www.music123.com and www.musiciansfriend.com will ship to the UK however you may get killed with the shipping charges if you want it in a hurry !

In no hurry but yeah after shipping charges and the cost of a transformer (we're on 240 volt in the Uk not 110) I doubt i'd see a cost saving
# 11
Kaffirlime
Kaffirlime
02/05/2006 3:57 pm
Out of interest I just checked out the price of the Marshall Power Brake at Musicians Friend - Jeez they want $519!!!! Maybe I should start shipping power brakes over to you guys from the UK :D
# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.