Fingerstyle electric guitar

BluesShredder
BluesShredder
06/16/2001 8:50 am
Do you play fingerstyle electric?
Not just with the thumb like Albert King or Mark Knopfler
but like a classical guitarist would do.
I saw a blues guitarist playing like that and he was amazing, playing so many notes at the same time, do you know a site that would help me to learn to play fingerstyle?

Peter
# 1
Steve Lindsay
Steve Lindsay
07/11/2001 10:10 am
There are lots of places you can try and people you can listen to who might help you on your way. http://www.wholenote.com is a comprehensive site with lessons on just about every aspect of playing the guitar.

Try listening to guys who use unconventional technique and adapt it to your own goals. Brett Garsed (Australian) is one I can think of. He plays conventional sounding rock / fusion but combines use of plectrum with other right hand fingers and he certainly crams the notes in.

Scott Mishoe is a bit more left of field. He has adapted bass guitar slas / snap technique for electric guitar, again using right-hand fingerstyle.

Try adapting something you can already play - mabe a short lick, but throw away your pick and use your fingers. Build from there.

Good luck
# 2
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
07/11/2001 2:25 pm
Another way to pick on Electric is to Hybrid pick..done a lot by country and rock-a-billy guitarists. You're probably already familiar with it. Simply includes a regular flat pick while picking with the fingers and the same time.
http://www.guitarplayer.com/archive/lessons/dblstop.shtml

That's a cool lesson from an old Guitar Player magazine. That you might enjoy it.
Free Backing Tracks At GuitarVoice.com!

"The pursuit of easy things makes men weak."

David O. McKay
# 3
joeking
joeking
07/12/2001 6:32 am
I finally gave up picks because i was tired of losing them - they're like pens, you put one down and forget to pick it up, or somebody borrows it and forgets to give it back; so i finally said to hell with it and went back to fingers; there's more of them anyway and it seems a waste not to use them.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.