Guitar Positions

eclecto69
eclecto69
02/01/2006 4:04 am
Probably one of the most asked questions in all of guitardom, but I'll ask it anyway:
Just looking at the notes in a piece of music, how do you tell what position you are in???
-Help much appreciated, Eclecto69
# 1
rockonn91
rockonn91
02/01/2006 7:27 pm
okay, a question to you, sir.

what kind of music? sheet music? or tab? or chords?

if tab, the higher the number, the higher the fret. so logically the higher your hand position.
if sheet music, the higher on the staff, the higher the note. so you'd have to fret higher.
chords- it shows you the position. eather by saying its a G chord for example or by doing a chord diagram.

basically, just looking at music wont tell you much unless you know all of the theory behind it- with time, you can recognise shapes on sheet music and can associate them with shapes on the guitar.

but it takes time.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 2
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
02/01/2006 7:45 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraI prefer guitar on top.

LMFAO! Me Too........ :D
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/01/2006 7:47 pm
If I'm reading the question right, you mean what position on the guitar neck do you play, depending on what note is mentioned in a piece of actual written music.
For session playing, it's basically experience and common sense. Try several positions, and the one that works and sounds the best is the one you'd use. Occasionally it'll be written in the music itself as a sidebar if they're going for a particular tone.
Most of the time though, the person who wrote it is wanting the correct notes played on a particular type of guitar, and doesn't care how you play it as long as it sounds right.
# 4
eclecto69
eclecto69
02/03/2006 1:54 am
'allo all, thanks for the help, play guitar till your fingers bleed and then keep playing
# 5
axemaster911
axemaster911
02/06/2006 6:48 am
Originally Posted by: eclecto69Probably one of the most asked questions in all of guitardom, but I'll ask it anyway:
Just looking at the notes in a piece of music, how do you tell what position you are in???
-Help much appreciated, Eclecto69

Your question is vague, and my raw fingers from much debating cant handle the volume of key strokes needed for an assesment.(Quick answer) write down the notes in the music you are reffering to. Then find your handy fretboard note finder. Find all the note positions on the neck you have wrote down, in the fret locations you like playing in. Memorize them if you like the song. Beware, theirs much to learn judging from your question, but hay you gotta start somewhere. Study Keys, and the notes in them for good learning, as well as your fretboard notes, it will all make sence later, and pardon me if I have misunderstood any part of your question. Keep rocken, the sex allways gets better!
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.