My 2nd Guitar

shan5
shan5
01/31/2006 10:01 am
Hey guyss...i've been collecting money to buy 2nd guitar and i think i've got enough money to buy a real guitar....but i'm still confuse...i went to the guitar center...and I played kinda all the guitars...I really liked Epiphone's Zakk wylde signature guitar...really smooth and no buzz at all...I played schecter (almost all the kinds) didn't really like the sound.
I just didn't get a chance to play the American Fender Stratocaster and Gibson's Les pauls.
i need suggestions guys to buy a really good guitar i'm ready to spend around $1200 to $1300, and i'm kinda more into hard rock music, and what should i look for in a guitar.
Suggestions will be appreciated
Regards
# 1
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
01/31/2006 10:47 am
can go wrong with gibson les pauls i feel...nice shape, great sound...but i heard there better axes under unnamed brands...why don't u get a custom made?
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 2
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
01/31/2006 2:49 pm
Originally Posted by: jeffhxcan go wrong with gibson les pauls

dont be so sure...I have a Les Paul and I love it, but Gibson is notorious for inconsistancy...some LPs are crap...and almost all SGs are bad too.

I think a strat may well be your best choice...I know I know, everyone plays one and they are too common...but there is a reason why they are so popular.
If you try out and find a good Les paul...that is also a great option...but make sure you try out the exact guitar you buy!!!

with that sort of Money, you may want to look at a Carvin (I think they sell some in that price range) or something...although most custom guitars would probably cost a bit more (I say probably because I dont really know, I am basing this on prices in the Uk and South Africa).

how much to Paul Reed Smith Mahogany standards cost in the US? If you can afford one of those, I'd get it! They rock!

Good luck, and well done for putting aside enough cash to buy a high end guitar!
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 3
hbkolb
Whats an Yngwie??
hbkolb
Whats an Yngwie??
01/31/2006 7:55 pm
I think a Heritage Les Paul blows away alot of Gibsons....... Good old Kalamazoo.
# 4
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
01/31/2006 8:03 pm
If you got the cash get you a PRS!
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 5
rockonn91
rockonn91
01/31/2006 8:49 pm
Originally Posted by: Andrew Saand almost all SGs are bad too.

owch! my world is crashing down around me! :(

for that much, you can get almost anything. its all about how you like it when you play it. some people love the sound and feel of an LP, others an SG (ME! :mad: hahah jk, Andrew.) its all about how you like it. so if you liked the Zakk Wylde guitar, do it. and as previously named, PRS's are a great choice.

im not a strat guy, and i wouldnt recomend one unless its got the silent pickups. i hate strat buzz.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 6
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
01/31/2006 9:48 pm
I would have to say, you'll find more bad Fenders than bad Gibsons.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 7
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
01/31/2006 10:44 pm
I love my SG.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 8
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
01/31/2006 11:56 pm
Yes, for the love of God, DO NOT BUY EPIPHONE before you try everything. Definately play the gibsons and fenders first. With that price range your good to go. I'd check out some PRS's.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 9
shan5
shan5
02/01/2006 12:27 am
Originally Posted by: Tele MasterI would have to say, you'll find more bad Fenders than bad Gibsons.

hehehehe :) :) :) ....wow alot of different options....hmmm....most of u r talking about PRs...but the PRS I saw at Guitar center those all were like more than $2000...are they really that expensive???...thats why i didn't check those...i check one PRS it was $600 but i didn't like the sound....it was buzzy. Can anyone give me any Idea of PRS (how much they should be, which PRS,)
Regards
# 10
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
02/01/2006 3:23 pm
With your budget, I'd probably avoid the SE cheap series. Also, most of those buzzy guitars can be set up to be not buzzy.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 11
aschleman
aschleman
02/01/2006 3:48 pm
If you're looking at spending 1300 dollars or so... and you play a lot of hard rock... PRS' are still out of your price range... unless you save about 700 more or so... A nice Gibson is still out of your price range as well... you can get a decent Gibson for 1000... but its going to be bone stock with nothing special. The ZW Epiphones are decent guitars... and despite the popular belief of Epiphones sucking... they actually don't sound too bad. If I were you though... I would seriously check out the ESP/LTD Truckster... its the James Hetfield signature guitar... they look pretty sweet. They're a Les Paul singe cut away design and they have a cool relic look to them...and you get the EMG pickups... The REAL EMG pickups. The Epi ZW comes with the HZ series picups which are the cheap passive version of the active 81 and 85s that are used in the Gibson version... You can also check out the ESP Eclipse series guitars... they're LP style guitars and they're pretty nice. As for Strats... now thats my cup of tea... You can get pretty far through the Fender inventory with 1300-1500 USD. The only guitars they make that are really out of reach for you would be their Custom Shop guitars... and some of their Relic guitars. Everything else is open season for you. Since you like hard rock though... it's kind of tough to recommend a Strat though... They're very versatile guitars though. I personally like the John Mayer signature... the Eric Johnson signature... and the American Deluxe series. I would have to reccommend the American Deluxe series if I were to reccommend a strat... They come with pretty hot pickups which will give you a good distortion and sound great clean as well... also they have a nice feel. The options on the strats are way better too. You can choose your fretboard (maple or rosewood) and choose from a huuuuuuuge selection of color and pickguard combinations. You said you didn't like the sound of the Schecters... which is ironic... I would have thought you'd like the JB/57 pickup combo... its one of the best combos out there for a hard rock sound... I suggest trying all these guitars before making up your mind. 1300 dollars is an investment... not a purchase... make sure you get what you want and get your moneys worth. Don't forget to try out the guitars on an amp that is similar or identical to yours... so that you can get a real feel for the sound of the guitar. And play it in all settings... clean, overdrive, distortion... all pickups with all knob configurations. Good luck!!!
# 12
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
02/01/2006 4:12 pm
dont part with your cash until you know for sure it is what you want...The Esp/ltd Truckster is an awesome guitar...not sure I like the finish (sort of metallic silver/grey with big blotches, sort of burnt looking) but it plays really really well.

The Prs you saw that buzzed was one of the SE ranges...they are almost like the Epiphone of PRS...what do Prs Standard Mahogany guitars, or Ce's go for there? I love my Prs and will recommend a Prs to anyone who can afford it...or cant (I know I couldnt afford mine at any other time than the time when I got it...never again will I be able to spend to much).

I like the idea of Heritage...I'm sure you know, but they are guitars made in the old Gibson factory, by (mostly) old Gibson worksmen etc...and said to be much nicer than current Gibsons.

Also a Deluxe American strat is an awesome guitar...for your needs, look at one with a humbucker in the bridge...I have a mate who owns one, and it si simply amazing.

Also, quite a bit cheaper, but still very nice is the Yamaha Aes range...I like the Aes 620 most, but the Aes 920 (is that right? with the quilt top?) is also really nice.

Otherwise, check out some Framus guitars...I tried a Framus Diablo a few days ago, had an ovangkol NECK and just sounded so sweet.
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 13
shan5
shan5
02/01/2006 7:26 pm
Wow.........I think I'm gonna spend whole Saturday at guitar center ;) ...and try out every single guitar :)
Thanks for ur suggestions guys........i really really appreciate that.
# 14
shan5
shan5
02/01/2006 7:36 pm
Dude, I just called Guitar center ...they don't carry any of the ESP/LTD guitars at all...which sucks!!!!!!!!!!!...i really wanted to try that.
# 15
aschleman
aschleman
02/01/2006 7:46 pm
The ESP/LTD Truckster is a hard guitar to find... I've only seen one in person. I played it and sure enough I liked it. The finish is suppose to resemble a guitar that has been played and beat up for many years. I like that in a guitar... If I could past in a pic of one of my strats you would be able to see what I mean... But the other guitars that were suggested are great guitars too. Just make sure you don't sell yourself short. With that kind of money make sure you find something thats giong to fit your taste and playing style... not just currently... but will be able to work nicely if you start to get more into different genres...
# 16
Superhuman
Superhuman
02/01/2006 7:47 pm
Look into the Ernie Ball Music Man Petrucci signature models, forget the flash paint job and you can save a bundle.

Another lovely axe to consider especially for rock guitar would be an Ibanez Jem (Vai series)... can't find a fault with these guitars at all, exxcellent for fast lead work.

Or as mentioned by other a Gibson... the Historic Goldtop '57 reissue got amazing reviews and I just added one to my growing collection. Beautiful piece of gear.
# 17
shan5
shan5
02/01/2006 7:51 pm
Originally Posted by: SuperhumanLook into the Ernie Ball Music Man Petrucci signature models, forget the flash paint job and you can save a bundle.

Another lovely axe to consider especially for rock guitar would be an Ibanez Jem (Vai series)... can't find a fault with these guitars at all, exxcellent for fast lead work.

Or as mentioned by other a Gibson... the Historic Goldtop '57 reissue got amazing reviews and I just added one to my growing collection. Beautiful piece of gear.

Jem is really expensive....hehehe....what u think about JS1000 how does that sound...
# 18
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
02/02/2006 3:09 pm
The Js1000 is quite nice, but not my cup of tea...

Go to Guitar Centre and sit there for the whole day, and the next and next etc etc play every guitar that appeals to you...dont let bitter salesman put you off...its their job to help you, and with you giving them over a grand, they should be responding to your every request.

check out some other shops for the Esp/Ltd Truckster...its worth a look...I would say, since you have heard so much good about it, dont buy a guitar until you have found and tried an Esp Truckster.
# 19
shan5
shan5
02/03/2006 8:40 pm
dude, i've called other shops including guitar center....nobody has Esp/Ltd Truckster......and guitar center don't have John petrruci signature guitar as well...now, i've got money and no body has guitars the ones i'm looking for....i wanna play the guitar before i buy the guitar...u know
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.