12 String Acoustics...

Joseph
Joseph
06/12/2001 9:49 pm
Now who can say that they don't love their electric guitars, especially after a long day, its nice to sit back and wail away. And our neighbors shouldn't be sleeping so early in the day. But what makes a practice session so worth while is the simplicity of it all, and when it comes to creating new sounds theres nothing better than an acoustic guitar. You can take it anywhere, and when writing new song you don't have to worry about the excess feedback, you can just concentrate on the basics.

From as long I can remember Ive been writing songs on my acoustic, because that way you can just concentrate of notes, instead of worrying about extra features. Now onto a 12 string guitar, I love the way these instruments sound, so bright so clear, and this guitar opens up so many new exciting possibilities for your overall chord arrangments. For years Ive only played my friends 12 strings, but Ide like to get one of my own. I'm leaning toward an [/b]Ovation,[/b] but what do youn guys think?

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 1
Martin Spaans
Martin Spaans
06/13/2001 11:00 am
I find it nice to play on a twelve string but only in some songs. I find fingerpicking and solo lines difficult to play.
Making songs on a acoustic guitar is a good way, it gives you also the opportunity to perform it unplugged and still good sounding. I prefer to make songs on a 6 string acoustic or clean electric guitar, with no plug in it i can still make a song idea in the middle of the night. After that I search for a specific sound, mostly this is already in my head. Sometimes a twelve string is a nice choice for arranging.
When i pick up a twelve string i only play chords. It sounds impressive but after awhile a little boaring.
Probably there are players with other playing skills and thoughts but to get real good on twelve string is a matter of exercise. Mostly twelve strings are only used for strumming chords.
It's nice to have one if you can afford it but I prefer a 6 string.
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
06/22/2001 1:46 am
I've kept an acoustic 12-string as part of my collection for almost as long as I've been playing. My current one I bought new in 1977. And they're not just for strumming chords.

I probably do half of my writing on the 12. The chorus-like effect that results from small differences in intonation gives it a full, lush sound. The acoustic material from Led Zepelin works really well with a 12-string.

It isn't all that hard to play, either; its just different. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Its not likely to become your main instrument, but once you've gotten used to it, you'll always want to have one around. A good 12-string has a unique appeal that no 6-string can even approach.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.