Master classical picking technique?

R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
01/20/2006 2:55 am
Can't say I've searched the previous threads on this, because I don't know exactly what this technique is called, but I've seen it done maybe twice (neither time with rewind analyzation available)...anyways:

It's where they take their hand and rotate it somehow so all the fingers pick the strings sequentially on the way down, but before some of the fingers are done on the way down, the others start on the way up, doubling some of the strikes. At least that's how I assume it's done, I don't really know, thus this thread. It's sort of like a (classical) tremelo technique for all the strings. Sometimes they just do it for one pass, but it can be done repeatedly. But the end result is a continual rolling sound. Does that make any sense at all?
I think I saw Joe Walsh do it on some Eagles concert if that helps, but again, could be wrong there too! :confused: But can anyone actually do this technique, and if so, some tips perhaps (and what's it called)?
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 1
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
01/20/2006 3:02 am
Originally Posted by: R. ShackleferdCan't say I've searched the previous threads on this, because I don't know exactly what this technique is called, but I've seen it done maybe twice (neither time with rewind analyzation available)...anyways:

It's where they take their hand and rotate it somehow so all the fingers pick the strings sequentially on the way down, but before some of the fingers are done on the way down, the others start on the way up, doubling some of the strikes. At least that's how I assume it's done, I don't really know, thus this thread. It's sort of like a (classical) tremelo technique for all the strings. Sometimes they just do it for one pass, but it can be done repeatedly. But the end result is a continual rolling sound. Does that make any sense at all?
I think I saw Joe Walsh do it on some Eagles concert if that helps, but again, could be wrong there too! :confused: But can anyone actually do this technique, and if so, some tips perhaps (and what's it called)?

I'm not going to be of much use. All I really have to say is that the technique sounds really cool.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 2
arska007
arska007
01/20/2006 2:07 pm
its the technique that you use in flamenco guitar, the name for that in spain is rasqueo i dont have much tips for it but you have to build up tension in your hand, you can do it with 1,3 or 4 fingers. with 1 and 3 fingers you build the tension against your thumb, and with four fingers you build the tension against your paw
"I am the lizard king, i can do anything!"-The Doors
# 3
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
01/21/2006 7:38 pm
Hey thanks. Rasqueo huh...sounds familiar. I've prolly seen the term somewhere I just never realised that's what it was. Now I at least have a starting point to try and search more for it. And no, the term has yet to appear on this forum (or in the lessons) in it's grand history. A guitartricks 1st!
[/FONT]
# 4
arska007
arska007
01/22/2006 2:36 pm
you can probpably find stuff if you just searh from internet or at the library for flamenco guitar. good luck! ;)
"I am the lizard king, i can do anything!"-The Doors
# 5
rockonn91
rockonn91
01/22/2006 7:06 pm
so is it like a delay sort of sound?
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 6
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
01/23/2006 12:05 am
Originally Posted by: rockonn91so is it like a delay sort of sound?

Not really.
A quick search of Google's Eagles' videos resulted in a clip that doesn't show the ending lead of the Hell Freezes Over show, which is where that example took place. Yet the same search revealed some dude doing at home...same song (introwise), and his example is a little faster. But right between 1:16-1:20 is where he does it a few times in a row, quickly.
video
[/FONT]
# 7
pure
pure
01/23/2006 4:11 am
im not sure, but is that what Stevie Ray Vaughan did when he was in the movie with Steve Vai? well he does it all the time, im just saying he did it differently in the movie.
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.