i need a few pointers on teaching guitar

DISCIPLEofMETAL
DISCIPLEofMETAL
01/16/2006 2:18 pm
Recently I rented a space to give guitar lessons for beginner and intermediate players. Im doing great and have gotten alot of students motivated into wanting to play more. I just feel personally I need to hone up on my teaching skills. If there is anyone that gives lessons and have some tips on what,and how to teach, i would appreciate the help.
Get rollin, or get rolled over!-diamond darrell
# 1
barnesjc
Full Access
barnesjc
Full Access
01/17/2006 1:49 pm
Hi!
I have been an instructor for about 15 or so years now. Getting started was tough. I knew how to play what I was playing....but explaining it to someone else is the tricky part. That just took time.
When teaching, remember that no two students are the same or have the same goals. Teach all styles and ask them for their input. Like.... don't teach metal licks to a "campfire" guitarist. Keep an open mind to all styles.
Stress the importance of doing things the right way and not the easy way. What is easy now, can make things tough down the road. Exercises are the most important things for beginners!!!
Now, when you teach chords....teach students the similarities between them. Like G5 , C2, and D. Pick a few songs with those chords and then build on them. Teach alternate fingerings for chords like A and E minor. What is easy for you might not be best for them.
Patients is a BIGGIE! Especially with kids...I don't teach under the age of 8. I have tried, but had little success. Their attention span is usually not very long. And don't be afraid to tell the parents that Jr. is not practicing. It is not worth their money and especilly not your time!!
I hope this helps. Feel free to email me if ya need me.
Practice makes Permanent!! Perfect practice make perfect....Me :cool:
# 2
Middknight
tattooed mesiah
Middknight
tattooed mesiah
02/15/2006 8:47 pm
I spent some time teaching and the one thing to stress to new students is not to give up just because there not progressing as fast as they would like to. Help them work thru there frustrations and let them know that we've all been there before and its working thru this point that will make them good or even great.
# 3
quickfingers
quickfingers
02/22/2006 4:00 pm
im currently going to school to get my bachelor's in music...i decided to get my degree to have better credentials for my teaching career, but is it necesarry? i know many people who teach at stores that have their BA's, but some also dont and theyre doing fine with just their own knowlege. as a guitar instructor, does it make a difference in the ammount of students you recieve?
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.