looky what I got!

6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
01/15/2006 3:17 am
woo hoo! so today, me and my darling mother made a trip down to mountain view, about an hour away, to see a car.. this one happened to be a 97 honda civic EX, with about 42,XXX miles on it. it was the EX version, so it had everything, power windows, powerlocks, sunroof, etc. this was from a dealer, and they were asking $6,000.. so, naturally, we were a little suspicious.. why is such a barely used car going for so little? well, we get down there.. and after taking the car for a test drive, and looking it over.. decided that it had probably been totalled.. the seems didn't match right, among other things.. so we said "screw this" and so, we went to see another car that I had found on craigslist, because it was on our way back home. this one happened to be a 1994 toyota celica GT liftback. we looked it over, checked everything out. even had it smogged (we literally watched it get smogged). everything seemed perfect, except that the owners sister had been driving it for a while, and for a while she lived in san fransisco.. which is right on the ocean in case you didn't know. so the paint was oxidizing a little, and there was just a little bit of rust around the back window.. but we looked over the rust ALOT, and decided nothing was leaking or anything, so the damage was purely cosmetic. so, other then a few dings and scrapes, the car was in great condition.. and the guy was only asking $3300.. so.. I got it! so, I finally have a car now! I'll try and post some pics tomorrow (it's too dark right now) just thought I'd inform :D
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 1
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
01/15/2006 3:40 am
Right on man. Best of luck my first few cars were hell but it was probably me.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
01/15/2006 5:42 am
Congrats dude! Your finally mobile again! Whooo Hoooo!!!!
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 3
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
01/15/2006 6:01 am
Originally Posted by: bigbudaCongrats dude! Your finally mobile again! Whooo Hoooo!!!!

I never wasn't mobile.. I've been driving my dad's car.. but now I finally have my own! knowing me, I'll probably end up babying, seeing as it costs 5 times what my guitar did, and I baby my guitar like no other.. so.. :rolleyes:

btw, having 135 hp and 145 ft/lbs of torque is alot more fun then having 102 hp and 98 ft/lbs of torque like the civic :D
my spyspace
# 4
markc2005
markc2005
01/15/2006 3:31 pm
nice one how bigs the engine?
humans aren't imortal
but rock and roll will never die
:cool:

my soundclick page nothing very impressive though
# 5
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
01/15/2006 5:50 pm
Originally Posted by: markc2005nice one how bigs the engine?

well, the celica STs have a 1.8L inline 4 engine.. puts out about 110 hp. I got the celica GT, which has a 2.2L inline 4 engine.. putting out about 135 hp.

I just found out a few minutes ago that the guy who sold it to me ripped me off a bit.. he told me he'd include 2 new tires with it.. which he did.. but I just found out that the tires on the car are 205's, and the ones he gave me are 195's! arrgghh! but costco is having a sale right now, you get $60 off when you buy 4 goodyear or michelin tires.. so, I may go get some new tires there eventually (money is a little tight for me right now, if that wasn't obvious.. lol)
my spyspace
# 6
markc2005
markc2005
01/15/2006 8:15 pm
2.2 not bad bet it sounds nice when you put your foot down
humans aren't imortal
but rock and roll will never die
:cool:

my soundclick page nothing very impressive though
# 7
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
01/15/2006 9:12 pm
Hey, cheers dude.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 8
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
01/15/2006 10:46 pm
well, the it gets about 22 mpg in the city and 28 on the highway.. which isn't bad. the civic was getting 28 in the city and like 35 on the highway.. but that's a civic.. they get better gas milage then nearly anything else.

btw, I got some pics for you! I just spent the last 2 hours washing it and cleaning it, inside and out.. so, here you go!

my spyspace
# 9
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
01/15/2006 10:48 pm
and some more pics

my spyspace
# 10
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
01/16/2006 1:07 am
That's a nice car 6strngs. Take care of her and watch out for idiots on the road. ;)
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 11
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
01/16/2006 2:05 am
Originally Posted by: PonyOne People here don't like small cars :( idiots.

My sentiments exactly.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 12
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
01/16/2006 6:25 am
Originally Posted by: PonyOnePeople here don't like small cars :( idiots.

I think the same thing! I was thinking the smaller the car, the better.

btw, ponyone, you haven't told me how I can make it faster yet! :D or even commented on the car at all..
my spyspace
# 13
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
01/16/2006 9:53 am
How about 1-2 pic's of the interior?
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 14
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
01/16/2006 4:10 pm
Congrats Man! You'll have some of your fondest teenage memories with that car. You should nail a safeway cashier in the backseat for good measure.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 15
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
01/16/2006 7:32 pm
Originally Posted by: PonyOne-cooler wheels w/performance tires ($500-1000)

well, I do need to get 4 new tires.. pretty much the first thing I need to do.. and within the next few days I'm going to take it in for an oil change and inspection, so my mechanic can tell me if there's anything wrong..

and if he tells me it needs breaks (they have been squeaking a little) then I'll consider getting those cross drilled rotors. and like "street performance" pads or something.. of course, without any other mods, I probably won't need brakes that good.. but oh well.

and about the cool air intake.. what's the difference between the a short ram intake and a normal one? also, you are saying that it could suck in water.. is there some way I turn it off in the rain or something? or would it mean I'd never be able to drive in the rain again?

I'll get those pics of the interior after work tonight.. I don't have time right now (I'm only on a lunch break)

and, I'll see what I can do about banging a safeway cashier in the backseat.. it's just that the back seat is TINY! it's only a 4 seater car because the back doesn't have enough room to fit 3 people.. but I could always fold down the rear seats and bang her in the trunk.. which is HUGE! maybe that's what I'll do for valentines day :D
my spyspace
# 16
aschleman
aschleman
01/16/2006 8:19 pm
An intake replaces the stock air filter... A stock air filter is usually a compacted material that takes particles out of the air. The material is so compact that it actually restricts the air flow to the engine. Air+Fuel+Spark=Horsepower... increasing any of the three will slightly increase the need for the other two and increase the horsepower. Essentially what the Air intake does is replaces the the compact air filter with a less restricive filter... it will still catch the same particles it just allows more flow of air. The metal tube is there to "cool" the air. Cold air is less dense than hot air... therefor you can pack more into a combustion chamber which increases the force of the combustion which increases the angular velocity of the force on the crankshaft (my bad... went into engineering mode)... in short: the colder the air... the more oxygen there is to combust... the bigger the combustion... the more horsepower.

And despite popular belief... you can buy air intakes that have persperation valves that bleed out any water that gets by the filter... so you can drive it in wet weather and its not going to hurt the engine. Don't buy the cheapest one that you can find because there is a difference... A cheaper one won't have a quality filter that will give your engine maximum protection from particules and waterlock (hydrolock)... a cheaper one also won't cool the air like as well as its suppose to. A high-end intake has a ceramic coating on the inside of the intake. This ceramic coating is more stable at high temps and helps cool the air better than the a stock aluminum intake shaft.... But yeah, theres no button to turn it off. Its just a part that you put on the car to replace a stock part... but its not hard to take off if you don't like the results. You shouldnt have to worry about hydrolock if its raining... but if there is a lot of standing water and you opt for a cheaper intake you might want to take caution. looks good though man... good luck with that.
# 17
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
01/17/2006 1:13 am
I'm not completely retarded in how a car works.. I did know that air + fuel + spark = horsepower.. and I did understand some of your engineering terms there.. lol.

but, no, it's not that I want to turn it off because I don't like the results.. I just wanted to know if it was still possible to drive in wet weather with one on. also, I found this, what do you think?

I'll keep all this stuff in mind.. I can't quite afford to do anything to it yet. after I'm sure it's in good running condition, then maybe.
my spyspace
# 18
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
01/17/2006 1:43 am
One thing to keep in mind if you change the exhaust and intake is that you will probably loose some torque. You will gain a little horsepower and top end speed, but without the torque to get you there quick what's the point? Especially in a small engined car. I'm defanately not saying don't do it though. You will more than likely get better gas mileage with these two mods. Plus, once you start doing other mods, these two small mods will work them and you will gain back any torque you lost.

Just don't get one of those annoying as hell "angry bumble bee in a coffee can" tail pipes, or I will personally come over there and kick your ass ;) J/K. Do what you want, but those things just get under my skin. I just don't get them. I mean, they sound horrible, look funny, do nothing for performance... what's the point :confused:

Congratulations BTW :D
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 19
stackny
stackny
01/17/2006 1:57 am
Should be well off with a Celica. My uncle drives H-A-R-D and those Celicas last forever. Congrats, wish I had one.....I think Ill probaly stay loyal to pick up trucks though.
Dont shoot yourself in the head.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.