SG Strap Lock Installation Advice??

Bazaa
Bazaa
01/13/2006 5:37 am
Hi. I see there are lots of posts regarding strap locks but nothing directly about an SG. Has anyone else installed a strap lock on an SG?

I have an Epi SG and just bought strap locks for it. The unique thing about an SG is that the front strap button is located where the neck and body are joined. There is a chrome plate there with 4 big screws that basically hold the neck to the body. If you were looking at the guitar from behind you would see that the "stock" strap attachment is attached to the top left screw in this plate.

So the guy at the guitar store gave me dowling and told me how to make a big screw hole smaller so it will fit the smaller lock screw. However, if I use the existing screw hole I'll be putting a small screw in a place where the neck is held on :eek: - and I'm thinking that would mess my guitar a lot.

This seems to be something unique to SG's. Look at some Angus Young photos and you'll see his strap attaches at the back of the neck and body join - not on the horn. Apparently, this is the guitar's balance point. ;)

So I'm thinking of having a guitar tech at the local store drill a hole through the steel plate and into the guitar between the top two screws and installing the lock there.

Has anyone else installed a strap lock on an SG? If so, where did you put it?

Thanks for your advice!

Bazaa
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/14/2006 2:01 am
Back in the day, I locked the strap on my '62 SG with the plastic clip from a loaf of bread. I eventually got rid of the guitar because it was scary how much the set neck/body joint flexed.

One thing you do [u]not[/u] want to do, is weaken that neck joint! :eek:
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Bazaa
Bazaa
01/14/2006 4:11 pm
Thanks Lord. I see your in Calgary. I was just there last week and bought the locks at Long and Mcquade - after having my very first test drive of a Gibson Les Paul Standard running through a Marshall stack - what a sweet guitar.

Well - maybe the lock should go right beside the neck plate then. I've attached two pics; one showing the plate and you can see the "stock" strap button on the upper left screw, the other an installed strap button on a solid one piece SG.

I'm taking it to my favourite technician today and I'll let you know what he says.

Bazaa
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/14/2006 4:58 pm
My '62 SG looked like your second photo. I had it in the early '70s. I don't know if the Dunlop Straplok system I use on all my guitars now even existed back then.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 4
Bazaa
Bazaa
01/16/2006 5:13 am
So I took it in - and we installed it in the middle of the steel plate, square in-between the screws, where the stock buttons are on single piece SG's - makes sense. Anyway, it works great, the locks are awesome and it is nice to relax about my guitar falling off - the strap was coming un-hitched regularly.

It isn't anyting earth shaking but maybe someone else will have the same dilema and at least will have this thread to work from. :rolleyes:

Bazaa
# 5
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
01/16/2006 6:52 am
Originally Posted by: BazaaHas anyone else installed a strap lock on an SG?

ooh, ooh! I have! pick me! pick me!

well, I suppose you already found a solution to your problem.. and I wouldn't have been much help anyway, since I have a gibson with a set neck.. actually, most sg's do have a set neck, it's only the low end epiphones that have the bolt on neck like yours.

and in your situation I would have done the same thing, and put the lock in the middle of the plate.. it's easier that way. lol
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 6
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/17/2006 2:56 am
Originally Posted by: Bazaa... maybe someone else will have the same dilema and at least will have this thread to work from...

Hah! This will be one of those threads I post a link to because some neomaxizoomultimadweebie couldn't be bothered to define search parameters! Can you tell that I've had to answer some basic questions a few hundred times too often?

Anyway, I'm glad you got it sorted out. :) And thank you for asking a good question.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 7
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
01/17/2006 6:27 am
Originally Posted by: LordathestringsHah! This will be one of those threads I post a link to because some neomaxizoomultimadweebie couldn't be bothered to define search parameters! Can you tell that I've had to answer some basic questions a few hundred times too often?

Anyway, I'm glad you got it sorted out. :) And thank you for asking a good question.

hey lats.. what's the difference between overdrive and distortion? ;)

and "neomaxizoomultimadweebie" I couldn't even pronounce it, let alone know what it means! :p
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 8
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/18/2006 1:53 am
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrs... and "neomaxizoomultimadweebie" I couldn't even pronounce it, let alone know what it means! :p

It's probably not an exact quote. You could check on it by watching "The Breakfast Club".
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 9
Bazaa
Bazaa
01/18/2006 2:00 am
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrshey lats.. what's the difference between overdrive and distortion? ;)

and "neomaxizoomultimadweebie" I couldn't even pronounce it, let alone know what it means! :p

too funny... check out my post from last year http://www.guitartricks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15033

interesting though - 6strngs didn't reply. oh well, at least now I do search before I ask - so I guess I'm no longer a "neomaxizoomultimadweebie" :)

Thanks for your advice on the SG!

Bazaa
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.