View post (SG Strap Lock Installation Advice??)

View thread

Bazaa
Bazaa
01/13/2006 5:37 am
Hi. I see there are lots of posts regarding strap locks but nothing directly about an SG. Has anyone else installed a strap lock on an SG?

I have an Epi SG and just bought strap locks for it. The unique thing about an SG is that the front strap button is located where the neck and body are joined. There is a chrome plate there with 4 big screws that basically hold the neck to the body. If you were looking at the guitar from behind you would see that the "stock" strap attachment is attached to the top left screw in this plate.

So the guy at the guitar store gave me dowling and told me how to make a big screw hole smaller so it will fit the smaller lock screw. However, if I use the existing screw hole I'll be putting a small screw in a place where the neck is held on :eek: - and I'm thinking that would mess my guitar a lot.

This seems to be something unique to SG's. Look at some Angus Young photos and you'll see his strap attaches at the back of the neck and body join - not on the horn. Apparently, this is the guitar's balance point. ;)

So I'm thinking of having a guitar tech at the local store drill a hole through the steel plate and into the guitar between the top two screws and installing the lock there.

Has anyone else installed a strap lock on an SG? If so, where did you put it?

Thanks for your advice!

Bazaa