Aluminium Body for Guitar? PLZ READ

Mr. Vai
Mr. Vai
06/07/2001 5:40 am
There is the aluminium body (fender) with birds eye maple neck, now Alumium body amkes the guita heavier right? But will it feel alot differnt playing it or not? What are the tone differences? Tell me what you know about Aluminium guitar bodys
My guitar is like an umbillical cord, its wired into my head.
# 1
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
06/07/2001 1:46 pm
I would assume that an aluminum body would be lighter than a solid wood body, personally. Isn't aluminum one of the lighter metals?
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 2
blackrose
blackrose
06/07/2001 9:34 pm
The feel probably wouldnt be too bad because all the guitars by fender feel the same anyways, but i cant quite imagine what the tone or sound would be like. I would imagine it would be an improvement on both things, but if so you would think that more guitar makers would do it. I personally would just treat them the same way as wood guitars when buying one. Either way, theyre bound to be better than plastic...
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
06/10/2001 2:26 am
A large, thick, slab of anything is going to have some heft to it. I've worked with 1" thick pieces of aluminum (I was a machinist for a while), and I can tell you two things for sure.

1. A solid piece of aluminum the same size as a Strat body is going to be seriously heavy! :eek:

2. An aluminum guitar body is going to a have some sharply-defined resonnances that will make it squeal like a stuck pig! :eek:

Fender has done some interesting things over the years, like the expetimental 1-of granite-bodied Strat. Now that was a heavy guitar! It had amazing sustain, but it needed a special stand to hold it up.

Aluminum guitar body? It would make some interesting sounds, but I'm not sure you could call it musical. :rolleyes:
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.