Lacking?

magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
01/05/2006 11:50 am
I feel something may be lacking in my technique or something. I dunno have a look and tell me.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MAGB660O
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 1
Infectious
Mr. Hardcore Oldschool
Infectious
Mr. Hardcore Oldschool
01/05/2006 7:17 pm
Hey good idea! Perhaps I should think about posting a video to help me with technique and such.

Before commenting on your playing I would like to point out that the file type you used was pretty new to me and I had nothing to play it. I did a little searching tho and found this player for download which worked really well.

http://www.download.com/FLV-Player/3000-2139_4-10467082.html

So there...other people can download ur video and the player and they'll be fine.

Ok so now for the review. I looked through the video about 5 times and i think your playing was pretty good. It was particularly clean and all but you weren't really playing anything to show off your technique (i.e: sweeping, bending notes, legato, tapping, etc...) It was pretty much powerchords and some single note stuff. I did notice, however, that you didn't use your pinky that much (I think only once in the whole video) and that could be a problem. One thing I started doing recently and I find it to be VERY efficient is using your pinky for powerchords. So for the powerchord shape you were holding in your video you would use your first finger and your pinky. It doesn't sound like that big a difference but I found that when you play fast powerchord stuff and are sliding powerchords all over the place it sounds a little smoother. That's how it's been for me anyway. Also it will help you get used to using your pinky more which I'm not sure if you use all that much. I can't really tell from the video. So yeah thats my full review.

Another thing that might be good to mention is to buy shirts that cover your whole body. :D I mean...I love manly chests as much as the next guy but...I just ate...c'mon now! At least warn us first.
# 2
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
01/05/2006 8:06 pm
It is my pinky now that I watch. I dunno about playing' power chords with my pinky. Seems a little uncomfortable for me. Probably cuz I've been playing them with my ring finger for a decade. Yeah my pinky definatly looks lazy dammit. Gonna have to find some exercises to get the little bugger on track. The riff is out of a song I'm working on and it didn't feel right and it was angering me. As for my chest? What can I say? Hmmm... At least there was no nipple! :D

How's the tone btw?
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
Infectious
Mr. Hardcore Oldschool
Infectious
Mr. Hardcore Oldschool
01/06/2006 1:06 am
Yeah i know what you mean about it feeling weird playing power chords with your pinky. I JUST started doing it like 2 months ago myself after about 4 years. I saw a picture of Kirk Hamett in guitar world and he was holding a powerchord shape down with his 1st and 4th fingers so I gave it a shot and I like it a lot. Especially when your standing up and playing...I feel it's a bit easier.

As for your tone...I think it's pretty good. I'm sure it lost a little bit of oomph when it was recorded but it sounded fine to me. It's similar to the distortion I like to use sometimes. Fine by me.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.