Picking?

heknowsnothing
heknowsnothing
12/30/2005 9:55 pm
I have been playing guitar for a year now. I can play loads of things. And i can play pretty fast. But what are the different picking styles all about e.g alternate??? :confused: Whats the point anyway? If something feels natural im sure it doesnt matter how wrong it is :p
Im not ok. Im not okhayhay. Im not ok.
Im not O f****n K.
# 1
Blues_Man
Blues_Man
12/31/2005 12:05 am
Alternate picking is what you probably are doing now. You just pick the string normally. There's also finger picking, where you take your fingers and play w/ out a pick, duh. Then theres economy/ sweep picking. This is more complicated and is used to play arpeggios. It makes it easier to play arpeggios than using alternate picking, it is used alot is shredding. There are some lessons on that here. There are other style of picking but I cant remember off-hand.
I am Comfortably Numb... :D

Oh yeah...STICK IT TO THE MAN!
# 2
BleedingSinstar
BleedingSinstar
12/31/2005 3:54 am
as to not look like a dumbass and make a new topic. wat is the point of using up and down strokes one after the other? i cant seem to do it and when i do it it sounds sloppy? whats the point? oh yeah and wuts the trick to tremolo picking? i can do it sitting but not standing
# 3
Blues_Man
Blues_Man
12/31/2005 3:20 pm
Originally Posted by: BleedingSinstaras to not look like a dumbass and make a new topic. wat is the point of using up and down strokes one after the other? i cant seem to do it and when i do it it sounds sloppy? whats the point? oh yeah and wuts the trick to tremolo picking? i can do it sitting but not standing

Yeah, If you use all downstrokes you wont ever be able to pick fast. It would be sloppy and take about 95% more effort.
I am Comfortably Numb... :D

Oh yeah...STICK IT TO THE MAN!
# 4
Nikhil
Nikhil
12/31/2005 4:11 pm
Originally Posted by: BleedingSinstaras to not look like a dumbass and make a new topic. wat is the point of using up and down strokes one after the other? i cant seem to do it and when i do it it sounds sloppy? whats the point? oh yeah and wuts the trick to tremolo picking? i can do it sitting but not standing

believe me,.. I used to think the exact same thing.......But, once you learn alternate picking, your speed really increases...i'ts also very effortless......
[FONT=Book Antiqua]Some one give me a gibson Les Paul..[/FONT] :o
# 5
V.I.S
V.I.S
12/31/2005 4:31 pm
[quoted/]i can do it sitting but not standing[/quoted]

you took words outta my mouth
# 6
Superhuman
Superhuman
12/31/2005 11:43 pm

It's impossible to play good lead with or rhythm with down strokes only. Think of the economy of movement, you can literally pick twice as fast with alternate picking as opposed to up or down only. Also you get a greater variety of tones, a note sounds slightly different when picked up as opposed to down. Don't limit yourself or you won't make the next level of playing.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.