What kind of guy are you??

alucard0941
alucard0941
12/30/2005 5:20 am
Originally Posted by: schmange

It kinda reminds me of high school. Some people were really good at math Some were terrible at math but really good in art class.
The math people are usually the ones that get into the theory side of things and start talking about different modes and scales.
The arts people are the ones who just listen to the song and figure it out themselves and couldn't care less about the details.

In tribute to this post, what kind of person are you in persective of this idea.

I find myself cause somewhere like 6 for art and 4 for math out of 10. Music wise atleast.
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
12/30/2005 8:35 am
I make my living in highly technical fields. Music is something that feeds my artistic side.

Back in high school, I played trumpet in the band, the orchestra, and a couple of marching bands. I had to sight-read sheet music for that stuff, but when I picked up guitar, it was all learn-by-ear, and I've never looked back. I sometimes look in on the discussions in the Music Theory part of the forum, but I always back on out of there with my eyes glazing over.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Infectious
Mr. Hardcore Oldschool
Infectious
Mr. Hardcore Oldschool
12/30/2005 3:34 pm
Well...I'm an art student. I go to art school and all that and I'm honestly more into the theory side of things. I like to know why what I play works the way it does and what I can do to spruce it up.

So contrary to what Schmange said...I'm an artist who sucks at math but enjoys the theory side of things...at the same time tho I only use theory to write better music. So I guess theres a bit of the artsy me coming out too.

At the end of the day...all the theory in the world won't make you a good musician. You just have to play.

Interesting thread...I'd like to see how other people reply.
# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/30/2005 5:49 pm
My problem with high school was that they relied too much on teaching things that involved using your memory.
I have a really crap memory... especially if I'm not interested in something.
So as soon as tests and exams came around, I failed every time.

However when I got to college and took the same classes where exams weren't given, I finished top of the class and ahead of time cause I could figure em out quickly and then just forget about em.

I failed music all the way through high school.
Crappy teachers who relied too much on theory and teaching the viola instead of enjoying music and playing an instrument you actually liked.
# 4
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
12/30/2005 8:16 pm
I'm about half and half for guitar.
In math and physics my marks are around 71. The only art I ever took was guitar, beause I needed the credit and I wasn't interested in learning how to play a horn, and I don't have the patience for visual arts.
...hehe i got 97% in guitar...damn those essays!!!!!!
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 5
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/30/2005 8:21 pm
I was top notch in math and science. Inexplicably music theory escapes me and I have no real desire (yet) to do in depth study on it. English was my worst subject. I think my grades were low because of my handwriting. Damn English teachers and their neatness counts. I was pretty good in art, hell I still paint on my white walls if my wife lets me. (I'll get a pic). and I was in band for 4 years. I dunno analyze if you wish.

You need to see it in a black light to get the full effect. It wouldn't hurt to be on your choice of medication either. I had another one on a different wall but my wife covered it up with wallpaper depicting the skyline of Manhattan
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it fasterā€ - Magicninja
# 6
<3K
<3K
12/30/2005 8:42 pm
I'm not a guy..I'm a girl :eek:
ĆŸĆ«Ā¢Ć„ĀµĀ§ĆŖ Ā¤Ę’ Āµ Ā” m Ć„Ę’Ā®Ć…Ć­Ć°
# 7
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/30/2005 9:24 pm
Yeah that complicates things.. :D Welcome to GT btw.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it fasterā€ - Magicninja
# 8
quickfingers
quickfingers
12/30/2005 9:42 pm
im a pretty terrible math student, but one thing i have learned (and also looked up out of curiosity) was how musicians have the uncanny ability to pick up geometry, especially when talking in three dimentions. ok, im a senior in high school and im just in geometry, which is like a sophmore class, but basically me and my math teacher had a discussion about that topic because the topic of locus's and points in space and their relationships to one another came real easy to me, but alot of math stuff is more difficult. kindof interesting how certain things can come real easy and other things can come real hard.
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 9
ScottMoney
ScottMoney
12/30/2005 9:47 pm
never really had a problem with math up to calc 4. last few classes i had bored me to death though.

there definitely has to be a balance between logic and artistic expression. some people do fine working around the theory but they're only limiting themselves. I see theory as a weapon. scales, arps, licks, progressions, techniques... all weapons you use to express yourself.
# 10
alucard0941
alucard0941
12/31/2005 3:52 am
yea music class is totally different than actually playing it. I find classes really boring that suck the fun out of music.
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 11
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
12/31/2005 4:08 am
I'm a split even both ways. It took me forever to understand what music theory I know since I could never settle unless I knew every last detail on why something was the way it was. In order for one thing to click I had to understand everything that went into it. After that things come pretty easy to me now and I can pretty much memorize things within a read or two. After knowing what I've learned I can pretty much do what I wish. I guess it all roots to my upbringing, my mom was a big artsy-fartsy type and my dad was an accountant.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 12
g----rant
g----rant
01/01/2006 3:11 pm
i'm all math, until i start playing a song
once u get into a song all the math stuff goes out the window, if ur not into it u focus on wat scales to use and stuff
check me out!!

www.myspace.com/granthiggins
# 13
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
01/02/2006 5:16 pm
I've always been a math person. I never did well in the "memorization" classes, like history, english, etc.....give me something to figure out. I just play the guitar and have learned what I know just by observing over the years. I play by ear more than anything, don't know much theory, too much to just sit there and memorize.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 14
danrock
danrock
01/02/2006 7:25 pm
Im more of a practical person.... with a decent knowledge of theory....!!! :)
Visit my website for my info and Audio/videos....

http://danielarlington.tripod.com
# 15
pure
pure
01/02/2006 9:08 pm
i always get in the high percentages in math ( 90s ) but i always was the best artist of the people i know and am currently the most sought-after artist in my draw/paint class..

i took a music theory class in 8th grade but i was the only guy there with a guitar and i played national anthem solos at the basketball/football games. an example would be http://download.server4.come2store.com/lecks/star_banner3.mp3 (recorded by me)

when playing guitar first i figure all the notes out of the song i wanna play by ear then try to figure out what scales and stuff were used... what would i be? i guess i dont fit in..
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks
# 16
Superhuman
Superhuman
01/03/2006 2:24 pm
I'm terrible at maths but good at art and languages. Bad at clerical speed and accuracy but good at progressive matrices, abstract logic and spatial problem solving. I was one of the worst students in school but now I have two degrees.

Music theory to me is kind of like maths, I find it painful and boring. I learnt to play the guitar by figuring it out by myself and by reading the odd magazine. I did play piano when I was a kid but never did anymore than basic Bach and Mozart, unfortunately that was no help at all when it came to learning the guitar.

I learnt one scale and figured out the rest by ear and by reading patterns on the fretboard. I find it more natural to play around the fretboard without thinking about modes, scales and keys etc.
# 17
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
01/03/2006 2:58 pm
i love math... at least i thought i did until i hit college...well i guess i could have done it but i played arnd too much that year...i thought i wud be a science student... barely passed a science subject in my whole 2 yrs taking them in high school... that was when i found music and photography... id say im a happy person... really passionate about both... i felt i let my pap down a little when i screwed up in science...but hes cool with it...but deep down i still enjoy math...the satisfaction of solving a sum on your own is amazing id admit...
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 18
O'Faolain
O'Faolain
01/04/2006 12:45 am
I was pretty evenly matched for both. In either case, I understood the ideas well but had trouble applying them appropriately.

When it comes to theory, I try to understand it as well as I can but it's all to the end that I want to write songs that are pleasing and sound good. When I hear a song and can immediately tell that it's good, without any theoretical analysis, I want to figure out why it is so.
# 19
Danny C.
Danny C.
01/04/2006 1:06 am
I am definitely not a math person, I despise math, if it was more interesting to me I would probably apply myself, but I don't. I enjoy my music theory class even though it does get boring sometimes, I find I want to know everything there is to know about music theory for some reason I just find it interesting. I played trumpet for about from 6th grade to the middle of my sophmore year, then I discovered the guitar. I have a good memory, I am extremely scatter-brained however. I always leave stuff on the top of my truck when I take off. I have locked the keys in my truck twice in the past two weeks too. But math is my least favorite. I got my ACT scores back the other day so now all I have to do is graduate in a few months, then off to college. And hopefully as little math as possible .
The greatest enemy to what you can know, is what you already know.

It's not how good you play, its how well you play it.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.