sweeps

thunderhoads
thunderhoads
12/27/2005 1:10 am
im having a hell of of a time learning this, i have improved, but not as much as i think i should. any tips?
# 1
jhelton0001
jhelton0001
12/27/2005 2:27 am
The best advice I have for you is to keep practicing everyday. Try to learn small sweep licks at a time, and start studying about arpeggios. I dont claim to be an expert sweep picker, but one tip is to use your left hand fingers very lightly. Just lightly touch the strings when you go to fret them. This has helped me. Palm muting may help you gain control as you drag the pick across the strings. I usually turn the gain down to about 1/2 to 3/4 power to help reduce unwanted noise. Hope this helps.
# 2
O'Faolain
O'Faolain
12/27/2005 2:50 am
I agree with the gain advice- I learned to sweep only using clean picking, same for pinch harmonics. Once you can do it well like that, it'll sound GREAT with distortion!
# 3
DeadInMagazines
DeadInMagazines
12/27/2005 4:12 pm
Go through the shape slowly at first with your left hand to know exactly how to put your fingers. If you are having a hard time with a particular part of a sweep, take just that part and practice it over and over again (I had to do this with the middle three strings coming back up on a five string major sweep).
# 4
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
12/27/2005 4:38 pm
Originally Posted by: thunderhoadsim having a hell of of a time learning this, i have improved, but not as much as i think i should. any tips?

Sweeping takes time. A lot of it at that, but once the ball gets rolling it gets easier and easier.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 5
Superhuman
Superhuman
12/27/2005 5:28 pm
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsSweeping takes time. A lot of it at that, but once the ball gets rolling it gets easier and easier.

Based on personal experience, if you are just starting out my advice would be to forget sweeping untill you have mastered alternate picking (mastering alternate picking involves a lot more than most beginners think). It may look easy but sweep picking is the most difficult technique in my opinion, that's why you hear so few guitarists actually doing it. If you are determined to learn it there are some good lessons on this site but I would strongly advise that you also get someone to sit down with you and explain the technique. I never had that luxury and it took me about a year to be able to play a clean sweep up and down and a lot longer to be able to fluently link a set of different shapes. Bottom line: if you really want to be able to do it, be prepared to put in a lot of practice and have a lot of patience. It takes time but once the penny drops it becomes easier and easier.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.