Christmas Problems

Fenderalltheway
Fenderalltheway
12/21/2005 2:50 am
[QUOTE=6strngs_2hmbkrs]I hate that. if a jew came up to me and said "happy hanukah" I wouldn't be offended. QUOTE]

Happy Hanuka 6strngs! lol
"When you want to rock hard children, lean of F#."
# 1
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
12/21/2005 3:26 am
how'd we get to ethnicity?

how does this co-incide with christians getting their panties in a twist about more than one people's holiday occuring around the same time as christmas and business wishing to respect all holidays rather than be biased and only acknowledge the christian holiday?

which, by the way, isn't even christ's birth* but rather the day of the sun for some pagen religion. i honestly don't know and pagen means pretty much anything that isn't christian so your guess is as good as mine.

but wait a second....christ's birth has nothing to do with giving presents and eating a massive ammount of food and hanging around relatives and stuff. the only presents jesus got when he was born were gold, incense, and myrhh which were metaphorical gifts to represent he was king, god, and that he would have a painful life and is one of the debated parts of his birth as to if there were even three wisemen, priest, kings, whatever and if they brought gifts....afterall, it's just a symbolic story to depict that all these things happened that are exactly how the old testament said it would happen and so jesus is the son of god and not someone else who had the exact same story written about them.

so...where does santa claus, gifts, evergreen trees, red and green colors, frosty the snowman, and other such non-biblical christmas related artifacts come into play.

actually, i can answer where the gifts come from...but i wonder who else actually knows this....it seems the ones who complain the most about such a problem are also normally the most ignorant (not commenting on this board imparticular but people in general, on average).

so enough BS about ethnicity...it's nowhere near on topic.

*fun fact: christ's birth is actually estimated to have occured in june....yep, that wintery crap has even LESS to do with jesus than i was even implying within my post earlier.

edit: unless you're from the southern hemisphere....then you can have a nice snowy christmas on june 16th (that's the date i've heard before was jesus' actual birth).
okay...my post is done...goodbye.
# 2
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
12/21/2005 3:52 am
santa claus comes from saint nick - germany. the red suit chubby guy comes from a cartoon drawn by an american late 1800's or early 1900's ...nordic god odin's son's b-day was celebrated on dec. 25th the old winter solstice
christmas was a pagan holiday the winter solstice(shortest day of the year)-the evergreen is an old pagan symbol for life in the dead of winter ...a kind of hope that life can go on through the dark days of winter-in england christmas was a kind of pauper day where the poor would be exalted,(drunks and local fools would be king for a day type of thing) if a poor whino went to a rich man's house he was to be let in and be fed and given drink.(or the rich would recieve a trick, sound familiar??) it was quite a raging party of debauchery til england tried to clamp down on it. america was born partly on the sinful ways of this pagan holiday>the puritans(1660's) did not come here so much for for freedom of religion...it was that they wanted more religion in government!!!! soon they were burning witches... they banned the pagan holiday but in jamestown it was popular and it could not be stopped. the churches finally joined in and took the holiday over, the evergreen tree would have apples hung on it to represent the tree of knowledge in the garden of eden(now we use ornaments) holly represented the thorny crown of christ (green and red), gifts were given to children to represent the wise men with gifts for the baby jesus and instead of the son of odin's b-day it became christ's b-day. charles dickens book "a christmas carol" really defined the christmas of today. so as with most of the judeo-christian religion, it is taking stories from other religions claiming them as their own and condemning any one who follows the original religion. nice..... :rolleyes:
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 3
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
12/21/2005 4:06 am
the tradition that you mention with england....isn't that just boxing day?
# 4
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
12/21/2005 4:11 am
the poor people thing?? it is a transformation of the winter solstice by the brittish putting their spin on it . i'm not sure about boxing day(canada??). i heard no mention of it in the info i have. you could be right though.
# 5
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
12/21/2005 4:16 am
Originally Posted by: z0s0_jpthe poor people thing?? it is a transformation of the winter solstice by the brittish putting their spin on it . i'm not sure about boxing day(canada??). i heard no mention of it in the info i have. you could be right though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_day

it's a brittish thing first, since canada is a commonwealth of brittain, they celebrate it too...i think Oz still does too.
# 6
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
12/21/2005 4:18 am
sounds about right ;)
# 7
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
12/21/2005 7:34 am
Originally Posted by: FenderallthewayHappy Hanuka 6strngs! lol

and a happy hanukah, christmas, kwanzaa, or whatever the hell else you want to celebrate to you too!
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.