View post (here is a good one)

View thread

Berlin Chris
Berlin Chris
12/30/2005 11:07 am
Originally Posted by: xpayxphonexThat doesn't answer my question because C maj scale has the same notes as A min. And you can't do the same thing with F min and G maj. It would be E min and G maj because they have the same notes in them. Let me ask my question again: This question is about pentatonic but it also applies to most of the 7 note maj scales and its modes, but to keep the question simple it is about pentatonic.

E maj chord - E maj pentatonic -works
E min chord- E min pentatonic- works
Now here is my question.............

E maj chord - E min pentatonic-works even though notes don't fully match( major 3rd and minor 3rd)
E min chord - E maj pentatonic-Does not work. Why does min pentatonic work over a maj chord yet the reverse of that doesn't work.

Hi, newbie here!

Let me try to answer your question:

Generally speaking Minor scales do not work over major chords and vice versa. So why does an E-minor pentatonic scale work over the E-chord?

The chord you are talking about is - harmonically speaking - not a major chord but a dominant chord instead.
In your case you are not talking about a E(maj7) but E(7) chord. The extension note you would use with the E-chord would be a D and not a D#, right? Even if you don´t play the 7, it still has the sound of a Dominant chord when using a minor pentatonic over it (in other words: if you play bluesy/rock stuff over it).
With the develoment of da Blues the minor third over a Dom-chord became an aquired taste. This I why we feel that the minor pentatonics works over that chord. 150 years ago everybody with an european heritage would have yelled of pain because it would have sounded totally *off* for them.

Sounds logical? Hope it helps...
Christof