View post (chord structures)

View thread

equator
equator
12/17/2005 5:26 am
When you say something, you have to be willing to own it, and don`t try to play the semantics game.
You said..."
C major scales and A minor are the Exact same thing"

and that was in context with what "Pogohead" said about the Cmajor and the Aminor scale. In that context you said they are the Exact same thing, by definition same thing means identical or equal. I`m sorry to tell you, but the major and the minor scales are not the same.

Then you said..."the only diatonic scale that would fit this progression is Am or Cmajor"...So, if they are the Exact same thing. Why do you name them separately?
And now you are argumenting that the scales I mentioned don`t quite fit the description of Diatonic Scales?
Well, all three scales are diatonic scales.
*E Neopolitan minor
*A Ethiopian Gezz & Ezel
*G Dominant 7th scale
They are not the same thing...they are built differentely. If they are the same; then why in the world have other names?
I am not inventing anything, I am just calling it like it is.
And once again, the fact they have the same notes does not mean they are the seme "Thing".

Then you said...
E Neopolitan minor is a synthetic scale because of it's construction and therefore non-diatonic.

Well, the Neopolitan minor is not a synthetic scale. It is a seven-note Diatonic scale, just like the Neopolitan Mirror.
Some of the scales that belong to the Synthetic group are:
*Diminished
*Arabic
*Jewish
*Altered
*Psycho-acoustic
*Spanish
But not the Neopolitan minor.

And you provided a link to site showing a Neopolitan minor in the key of C.
When I suggested that scale in the key of E.
Then you continued analizing that scale in the key of C to conclude that Ab and B are more than a whole step. So. What is your point?
You should analize the E Neopolitan in relation to the E major scale, because that is the parent scale.
Her is the E major scale:
[E-F#-G#-A-B-C#-D#]
Here is the generic formula for the Neopolitan minor:
[1-2b-3b-4-5-6b-7b]
[E- F- G- A-B-C- D]

Who gives a crap if C major and A minor start on different notes. When you improvise you don't always want to start on the first note of a scale, do you?

Just in case you did not noticed this is Theory Forum.

By the way. Your sarcasm about the C6 and Am/C doesn`t cut it either.
C6=(C,E,G,A)
Am/c=(A,C,E)
Nice try tough.
Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.