New gear

magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/07/2005 6:32 am
I no more than an hour ago got a Roland VS 880EX. Now to ensure my recordings are at a decent level, I should record the tracks as close to 0 as possible without clipping and then mix down from there, correct?
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 1
ivanglam
ivanglam
12/07/2005 7:51 am
Well things are a little different in the studio, but you should set the volume levels (of whatever is recording at the time) to as high as possible (withought clipping). Also, for a better and more even/professional recording, have the levels leveled out so that it does not clip at the STRONGEST SHOT.

For instance, if you are recording rythym guitar, adjust the volume so that it would not clip at the most intense portion of the song.

DO NOT do the song in sections (as in the rythym is actually 4 seperate recordings mixed togetther). This will (unless you are pretty experienced) make your recording sound very un-professional.

Umm thats all I can thoink of right now.
www.purevolume.com/ivanglamuzina
# 2
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
12/07/2005 4:31 pm
Cool purchase. Seems like it's a very nice and versatile recorder. Ivanglam is correct about the recording levels. Just make sure that it doesn't clip at any point during the take.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 3
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/07/2005 6:04 pm
0 is usually the clip level right?
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 4
ivanglam
ivanglam
12/11/2005 1:50 am
Originally Posted by: magicninja0 is usually the clip level right?

Yes I believe so. Recording works in decibles, so the lower the number, the higher the volume.
www.purevolume.com/ivanglamuzina
# 5
pbarnhill
Self Run Will
pbarnhill
Self Run Will
12/15/2005 4:38 am
Originally Posted by: ivanglamYes I believe so. Recording works in decibles, so the lower the number, the higher the volume.

Lower numbers do not mean louder signal. -60 on a meter is quiter than -10 etc. 0 was a standard set in the analog days of recording. The reading on your VU meters tells you how far away you are in db from reaching the spot where audio clips. In analog you can exceed 0db on the vu meter and hit +1 +2 etc for the warm saturated sound. However with digital recordings, 0 is where "clipping" occurs. When a digital signal is clipped it becomes distorted and this happens pretty unforgivingly. Mild clipping can sometimes be hard to detect if burried in a mix but when a digital signal is clipped it usually stands out and is very harsh and not pleasing to listen to. Keep your signal hot but try not to let it clip. Have the musician play the parts and set the levels so it doesn't clip at the loudest parts of the take. They will probably play it louder than they did for you when you told them to play it loud but thats more of a murphy law thing so practice with it a bit.

If you record an acoustic guitar, for example and it has soft picking parts and real loud strumming parts, for example, set the signal for the loud part not to clip. Proper use of a compressor afterwards will bring up the quiet parts and limit the loud parts so it won't get burried by whatever else you throw in the mix.
# 6
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/15/2005 4:45 am
Originally Posted by: pbarnhillLower numbers do not mean louder signal. -60 on a meter is quiter than -10 etc. 0 was a standard set in the analog days of recording. The reading on your VU meters tells you how far away you are in db from reaching the spot where audio clips. In analog you can exceed 0db on the vu meter and hit +1 +2 etc for the warm saturated sound. However with digital recordings, 0 is where "clipping" occurs. When a digital signal is clipped it becomes distorted and this happens pretty unforgivingly. Mild clipping can sometimes be hard to detect if burried in a mix but when a digital signal is clipped it usually stands out and is very harsh and not pleasing to listen to. Keep your signal hot but try not to let it clip. Have the musician play the parts and set the levels so it doesn't clip at the loudest parts of the take. They will probably play it louder than they did for you when you told them to play it loud but thats more of a murphy law thing so practice with it a bit.

If you record an acoustic guitar, for example and it has soft picking parts and real loud strumming parts, for example, set the signal for the loud part not to clip. Proper use of a compressor afterwards will bring up the quiet parts and limit the loud parts so it won't get burried by whatever else you throw in the mix.

Yes, yes very good. Listening post by Sunday.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 7
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/23/2005 12:12 am
Well here it is. It's easier to work with than I thought.

Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 8
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
12/26/2005 1:29 am
v-nice. you do any recordings with it yet?
okay...my post is done...goodbye.
# 9
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/26/2005 1:34 am
Yeah I've laid down quite a lot since I got it. You know how it is to play with new stuff. :D Once I get a midi/usb interface or my external CD burner I'll get some stuff on the listening post. :cool:
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.