Reggae

redworm
redworm
12/06/2005 5:21 am
How come there are no sections in this site for reggae guitar style?
# 1
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
12/06/2005 5:30 am
Originally Posted by: redwormHow come there are no sections in this site for reggae guitar style?

That's a good question. Although, I have always thought of reggae as more drums and not much guitar.
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 2
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/06/2005 8:13 am
Originally Posted by: bigbudaThat's a good question. Although, I have always thought of reggae as more drums and not much guitar.

You mean percussion. ;)

Interesting though, I never thought of playing reggae.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
12/06/2005 4:30 pm
Originally Posted by: magicninjaYou mean percussion. ;)

Interesting though, I never thought of playing reggae.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Thanks for settin me on the right path!
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 4
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
12/07/2005 8:29 pm
Wouldn't blues cover the guitar playing in any reggae. I know that what I hear in Marley's stuff and other raggae. Unless you listen to SKindred, they're pretty sweet.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 5
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
12/07/2005 10:30 pm
The instructors have been talking about this lately.

We have a new instructor putting together some rockabilly stuff, and he wanted to have that added to the category list.

Rockabilly is a minor style, but it at least is a word that hasn't changed in some time.

We don't want to include style names that change or go out of fashion (example: new wave, grunge) but it might be ok to expand the list.

Here is the current list:

Acoustic
Alternative
Blues
Classical
Country
Folk
Funk
Jazz
Metal
Rock

Does anyone have a proposal for expanding this list that would include rockabilly, reggae, and some other established minor styles?
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 6
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/09/2005 2:17 am
The crazy thing about music is you can combine two styles to make another. Kinda how Ray Charles combined Gospel and Blues to create R&B.
To me Rockabilly is just Rock, a sprinkle of Country, and a dash of Blues. Reggae is a style all on it's own. So that would be good to add. I think a good category could be Instrumental Rock. You know the stuff Vai and Satriani do. It'd be nice to learn how to compose a "Speed Metal Symphony".
Spanish Music also is big where I'm from.

What might be better is to make sub categories. Some thing like

Rock:

Rockabilly
80's Style
Classic Rock
Oldies but Goodies
Instrumental Rock
Hard Rock
Metal
etc.
etc.

More often than not you find the minor genres fall under the more general ones. You should include as many as you can even the ones that don't hold their popularity. I know there is something to learn from all music. That is why I can play country music to my friends without getting harrassed. I say include as much as space will allow. I love choices.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
# 7
rockonn91
rockonn91
12/09/2005 2:51 am
Originally Posted by: magicninja

very good sugestion- having a little sub genre list that pops out or something will help people find what they're looking for better.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 8
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
12/09/2005 4:51 am
Originally Posted by: magicninjaThe crazy thing about music is you can combine two styles to make another. Kinda how Ray Charles combined Gospel and Blues to create R&B.
To me Rockabilly is just Rock, a sprinkle of Country, and a dash of Blues. Reggae is a style all on it's own. So that would be good to add. I think a good category could be Instrumental Rock. You know the stuff Vai and Satriani do. It'd be nice to learn how to compose a "Speed Metal Symphony".
Spanish Music also is big where I'm from.

Rock:

Rockabilly
80's Style
Classic Rock
Oldies but Goodies
Instrumental Rock
Hard Rock
Metal
etc.
etc.

More often than not you find the minor genres fall under the more general ones. You should include as many as you can even the ones that don't hold their popularity. I know there is something to learn from all music. That is why I can play country music to my friends without getting harrassed. I say include as much as space will allow. I love choices.

I've always wanted to combine country and rap. I think I'll call it CRAP.
:D
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.