PS-3.1 Powered Monitor System From Fostex

Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/28/2005 1:13 am
Has anybody ever used this speaker system or own one?

http://www.harmony-central.com/Events/WNAMM00/Fostex/FostexPS31Mntr.html

I bought one for myself and it works great except the satelite speakers turn themselves off after a couple of minutes of none use.
Which means the next time I go to play a song, or get an audio alert, the beginning gets cut off before the speakers have a chance to kick in again.

In other words, I'll get an audio alert that should have a voice saying "Printing Completed". But all I'll get is "... ing Completed"
Same thing with mp3 files. I have to start them to get the speakers working, then restart the song from the beginning so I don't miss anything.

Just wondered if anybody else has had any experience with these speakers and if this is a typical design problem or a defective set.
# 1
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
11/28/2005 1:54 pm
I'm not sure about those monitors, but that does seem like it would be aggravating. Have you contacted Fostex about it yet? Maybe someone there could tell you how to bypass the timer (or whatever it is).

Are you using those for mixing, or just another option for playback? I've alway's been a little sceptical about the 2.1 systems for mixing. But, I guess if they have sepparate levels to adjust, you could dial them in right. I use a pair of powered M-Audio BX8's, and love them. They're a little overkill for my application, but it's nice to know I've got the extra umph if I need it. One of the main features I like about them, is they have several adjustable perameters to compensate for the space you're using them in. They can be made to sound hi-fi, if you wanted to use them as home audio speakers, or they can be set flat to give an accurate representation of the audio, for recording and mixing. They're not the best by any means, but for the price, they're great. My recordings have defanately started sounding better, now that I can hear what I'm actually putting in and getting out.

Sorry for rambling on about that, guess I got a little carried away :rolleyes: . Hope you get things straightened out.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 2
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/28/2005 4:59 pm
Yeah, I wrote Fostex but judging from experience, I'll either expect to not get a reply or they'll send some form letter that has nothing to do with what I asked.
I still use headphones as my main recording and mixing animal. A lot of people say you shouldn't mix with headphones, but it's all I've ever used to listen to music with since I was like, 12 years old, so it's only natural I'd use em for mixing now. I've got Paradigm 5se's, but the woofers keep physically blowing apart. (gotta have it loud ya know)

The 3.1's are about the best thing I could find for a computer sound system that didn't take up a ton of space and had a good subwoofer.
Unfortunately, it's a pain in the butt because one of it's main uses was to hear system alert sounds, and they never work.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.