Some of the best Album Covers...

Joseph
Joseph
05/27/2001 2:59 am
Lately, Ive noticed that their isn't much creativity involved when it comes time to choose an album cover, a lot of new bands today refuse to think about what image would best define their personality. It seems as if a lot of album covers are decided as to what would be marketable, and what looks cool. Throughout the history of releasing rock records, there has has always been one thing that has grabbed our attention, (giving us a good idea of what to expect before we hear the first few notes from our favorite bands.) When it comes to the masters of mystery, Ide have to say that with Led Zeppelin's records, they sure have made great statement. What are some of your favorite album covers, and is there a particular band that you can always count on when it comes to choosing interesting cover art? Where they have given you a good representation of their thoughts and personality with their covers...

Many consider Led Zeppelin's fourth record to be the groups finest work ever. Its legendary status is enhanced by the fact that it doesn't have a proper title, just four rather mysterious symbols, which was taken from Page's fascination in occult and arcane mythology. Another fascinating decision was that they purposesly left their name off of the original sleeve, because they strongly felt that their music should be judged on its own merits. These guys felt the needed to move to the next level of creativity, instead of hanging onto whatever seemed cool, and the types of sounds that would easily grab an audiences attention. These guys have always willing to push the envelope, with their rather mysterious (yet subtle) idea of Zeppelin Four, it definitely got the job done.

Also, Pearl Jam has always taken a very intelligent approach when it comes to album covers, where their cover gives you an idea of what to expect on the inside...

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 1
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
05/28/2001 11:37 pm

To tell you the truth, I never really look at album covers that much. What interests me is the music inside. I don't even think I can remember too many album covers off the top of my head.

I can remember the cover of Metallica's Ride the Lightning, with the electric chair flying around in the storm. Then there was ALS by Vai, with his ever-so guant face painted silver.

Those are really the only two I can remember right now. Like I said, it's about the music, not the artwork.
# 2
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
05/28/2001 11:49 pm
I allready have my band's first album cover planned out. I drew the cover art months ago, and it's designed to send a very strong message. I'm not going to say what it is just yet- I want that to be a suprise when we release it, but yes I want a cover that nobody forgets. And they won't forget thisone. Of course, I'll probably never see it in Walmart, but I never liked Walmart in the first place.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
Mr. Vai
Mr. Vai
05/29/2001 12:45 am
metallica's garage days revisited is really good, with Loverman, Astronomy, and Turn the page are really good
My guitar is like an umbillical cord, its wired into my head.
# 4
space ace
space ace
05/29/2001 1:49 am
the greatest album covers of all time are:

1. The Beatles (White Album)- I don't know why
2. Cream (wheels of fire)- You got to see it
3. Thin Lizzy (Jailbreak)- The drawings are right on
Lane Hunter
# 5
Bardsley
Bardsley
05/29/2001 1:51 am
A good example is U2, you can see the way they have grown as a band by looking at their album covers. At first they are really serious and earnest, before going all crazy and dark and funny with Achtung Baby, Zooropa and Pop, and now they've gone to a sort of matured, weathered band, you can see it in the artwork. As for saying it is about the music, that is fine, but a great album cover is a great album cover, it's art.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 6
Kirk Hammett is God
Kirk Hammett is God
05/29/2001 2:36 am
One of my favorite album covers is the one for Pantera's "Vulgar Display of Power", which is the one that has a close up of some guy gettin' punched in the face.

Damn, I love that.
MYK
# 7
Kirk Hammett is God
Kirk Hammett is God
05/29/2001 5:30 am
Amazing, it looks nothing like him!

At all!

..at all...
MYK
# 8
Joseph
Joseph
05/30/2001 1:48 am
Originally posted by Bardsley
A good example is U2, you can see the way they have grown as a band by looking at their album covers. At first they are really serious and earnest, before going all crazy and dark and funny with Achtung Baby, Zooropa and Pop, and now they've gone to a sort of matured, weathered band, you can see it in the artwork. As for saying it is about the music, that is fine, but a great album cover is a great album cover, it's art.

Yes, for the most part U2 has always come out with interesting records, and their album covers kind of give you an idea of what to expect. And yes, they have matured as the years have progressed, and they are more solid than they ever were before... The thing I like about this band is that they have handled success quite well, and they refuse to compromise to the point where they lose focus of who are inside. I like their newest album, I think its a great step for this band, where it shows that when you're down, you always have the courage to get back up again and shock, which they have done...

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
# 9
chris mascarenas
chris mascarenas
05/30/2001 10:29 am
Well lets see i picture a good cover to beone I could sit down and look a for hours wich have to be all of tools album covers The Beatles Sgt. Peppers lonely Hearts club Band and Creams Disreali Gears.
# 10
Joseph
Joseph
05/31/2001 6:46 pm
Every single one of The Beatles' album covers are classic, especially Abbey Road, I'm sure everyone has their own interpretations as to what message they were trying to get across...There are some real interesting stories behind the overall concept for that album...

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
# 11
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
05/31/2001 7:02 pm
The zeppelin covers are really cool, at least part of them, i also like the DP "in rock" cover , dont know why but it's nice..and also DP self titled album, which has some cool picture on the cover, also Rainbow first album, i like the drawing there.. reminds me of some legend story
and the warfare and passion by steve vai is really cool, i also like the booklet of this album, although i dont really understand half of the things he says, it's still looks cool :)
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.