Humbucker Sound Problem?

Preaditor
Preaditor
11/24/2005 11:33 pm
Okay so I bought 2 DiMarzio humbuckers. The Bridge humbucker is a PAF Pro. The Neck humbucker is a PAF Joe. My uncle wired the pickups in exactly how it said in the diogram, and we went upstairs to my marshall and tested it. When we put a metal peice up to the humbucker, the pole peice on the bobbin closest to the bridge, and it was much quieter output than the other bobbin. On the PAF Joe pickup, the same thing happened. He tried different wire configurations, but nothing changed it. Is this normal for dimarzio pickups to act this way? If not, please let me know if I'm doing something wrong.
# 1
Preaditor
Preaditor
11/25/2005 3:37 pm
Okay I think to make this easier to understand I'm going to say this:

When I have my bridge pickup selected (DiMarzio PAF Pro), and I put a peice of metal up to its magnets, I can hear it really loud on half of the humbucker, but on the other half its about half the volume as the other half of the humbucker. So one side of the humbucker is loud and the other side is much quieter. When my single coil is selected with the humbuckers, its much quieter in clean channel compared to just the humbucker or the single coil, but when its the humbucker by itself its much louder. The same thing happens on the Neck Pickup, the PAF Joe. I just wanted to know if this was normal for DiMarzio pickups, thanks!
-Joel
# 2
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
12/03/2005 6:43 am
Is this correct - double coil pick ups, can be connected as single coils or double coils in paralell - but not in series ?

I'm used to working with single phase and three phase power supplies.

This always confuses me
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
12/03/2005 9:00 pm
[font=trebuchet ms]The normal connection for humbucker pickups is with the coils in series. One of the coils is RWRP (Reverse-Wound, Reverse-Polarity) relative to the other one. The coils are wound with the wire going in the opposite direction, and the magnets are placed upside-down in the coil bobbin. Any disturbance in the field of the pickup magnets caused by vibrating steel strings will induce currents in the coils that are in-phase with each other. Disturbance caused by an external magnetic field, like the transformer of an amplifier, will induce currents that are out-of-phase. These out-of-phase noise signals cancel each other out. Any connection scheme that uses both coils of a humbucker must keep the two coils properly in phase with each other, or there will be almost zero output.

A coil tap switch shorts-out one of the coils, leaving only one coil functional, for single-coil operation. This also defeats the humbucking feature of the pickup, so you get the same noise vulnerability as a normal single-coil pickup.

Connecting the coils in parallel produces a lower output that is close to the single-coil sound, while retaining the quiet humbucking function.

Out-of-phase connection refers to reversing the output of one pickup relative to another. This causes partial cancellation, making the same sort of hollow, flanging kind of sound that a Strat produces with the pickup selector in the 2nd or 4th position. The middle pickup of a Strat is RWRP relative to the neck and bridge pickups. That's why there is less hum with this pickup connected to either of the others, and also why there is noticeable hollowness in the sound.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
12/03/2005 9:31 pm
Printed and stored.
# 5
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
12/04/2005 5:42 am
[font=trebuchet ms]I went into more detail back >here<. [/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 6
Preaditor
Preaditor
12/05/2005 7:45 pm
Thanks lordathestrings, so I guess these pickups should be wired in series?
# 7
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
12/06/2005 3:10 am
Originally Posted by: PreaditorThanks lordathestrings, so I guess these pickups should be wired in series?
[font=trebuchet ms]Ach!

Series/Parallel connection refers to the coils in one pickup.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 8
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
12/06/2005 6:20 am
When two pick ups( Plural) are selected, they are connected in paralell( at the selector switch) - so that the volume output is not suddenly doubled, and the Audience does not get blasted out of the venue
# 9
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/06/2005 8:26 am
Originally Posted by: PreaditorThanks lordathestrings, so I guess these pickups should be wired in series?

It's up to personal choice really, but series is the easiest.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
# 10
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
12/06/2005 10:49 am
It's clear I need to research this:
Many Thanks
Gray
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.