scarface84
scarface84
11/27/2005 4:16 am
For some reason?:rolleyes:
# 1
Rsam16
Rsam16
11/29/2005 2:48 pm
I would pick Eric Johnson, he seems like a laidback guy.
And he is just a genius on guitar,I would love to learn how he gets that beautiful tone.
[FONT=Century Gothic]RSAM16[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]GuitarTricks Resident Eric Clapton Fan[/FONT]
# 2
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
11/29/2005 5:39 pm
Originally Posted by: scarface84For some reason?:rolleyes:

Ok, you're right. For no reason.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 3
Superhuman
Superhuman
11/29/2005 10:21 pm
Originally Posted by: scarface84For some reason?:rolleyes:

Just a quick aside to this thread. I saw Yngwie playing in Dublin a few months back, he was amazing. I don't have any of his cd's and don't like his music but I went just to see the guy play. A lot of people post that he is innacurate and misses a lto of notes, well that was not the case at that gig. I did get a bit bored towards the end as things started sounding the same after a while but the guys ability was faultless. I would certinaly take lessons from him if they were available... in Ireland... close to my house... which kind of seems unlikely...
# 4
scarface84
scarface84
11/30/2005 2:41 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonOk, you're right. For no reason.

I'd like to see jolly play "black star" :p
# 5
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
11/30/2005 5:49 pm
Originally Posted by: scarface84I'd like to see jolly play "black star" :p

I can play the first minute and a half, haha. But, even though it's my favorite composition of his, it's still a piece of **** composition. Most of his fast runs are there just to be fast runs, they don't make any sense. I respect his speed, but not his musicianship. He has nothing to be arrogant about. If anything, he should be much more humble than most guitarists because of his frailty as a composer.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 6
Fretfire
Fretfire
11/30/2005 8:07 pm
Originally Posted by: SuperhumanJust a quick aside to this thread. I saw Yngwie playing in Dublin a few months back, he was amazing. I don't have any of his cd's and don't like his music but I went just to see the guy play. A lot of people post that he is innacurate and misses a lto of notes, well that was not the case at that gig. I did get a bit bored towards the end as things started sounding the same after a while but the guys ability was faultless. I would certinaly take lessons from him if they were available... in Ireland... close to my house... which kind of seems unlikely...

Yes I agree, i also saw Yngwie's DVD live performance in Japan ( the Japanese actually worship this guy. :D ) All I can say was his technique was simply awesome and flawless, very clean and precise even at very high speed. I have seen other speed demons and have studied their technique (Fareri, Cooley, Bellas, Stump, etc.) but nothing compares to Yngwie's clarity and precision. I look to him when it comes to technique more than his sound.

My only comment was the musicianship, I tend to get bored of those repetitive harmonic minor scale patterns as well as some, he should refrain from that. Overall he is just a fantastic player, Even Steve Vai and Satch were all praises for his technique.

I believe he is one of the BEST exceptional players ever, even though others may disagree, and I respect them for that. But in the end its just a matter of personal choice. Even though sometimes he seems to be arrogant and cocky, It's just a part of the "packaging" and I forgive it. :)

P.S --> Have you all heard Yngwie's work in Derek Sherinian's Black Utopia album. It's one of the most amazing solo's Ive heard ever. It showcase his vast potential as a player and proves he can be versatille as well. Check out the following tracks.

The Fury - 60 seconds of majestic guitar solo.

Axis of Evil - One of my personal favorites, thrash Metal at its best with a dark and brooding intro riff to a "shower of hale storm like" guitar solo..the interplay with the keyboard is also great.

Black Utopia - Yngwie Malmsteen and Billy Sheehan masterpiece. Hear it for yourself.

A must hear especially to all "Yngwie Bashers" out there. Peace out!
Guitarplaying is 1 Percent Inspiration, 99 Percent Perspiration... :)
# 7
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
11/30/2005 8:13 pm
id say satch or slash.
If there's one thing I've learned, it's that life is one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead.

Rock stars ... is there anything they don't know?
# 8
scarface84
scarface84
11/30/2005 10:09 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonI can play the first minute and a half, haha. But, even though it's my favorite composition of his, it's still a piece of **** composition. Most of his fast runs are there just to be fast runs, they don't make any sense. I respect his speed, but not his musicianship. He has nothing to be arrogant about. If anything, he should be much more humble than most guitarists because of his frailty as a composer.

no offence, but i've heard your "music" :rolleyes:
# 9
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
11/30/2005 10:11 pm
Originally Posted by: scarface84no offence, but i've heard your "music" :rolleyes:

No you haven't. You've heard my parody band, which is beyond your comprehension.

Edit: PS, yes, even what you HAVE heard of mine is more intelligent than anything Yngwie has come up with. See, I have musical sensibilities, Yngwie has none. And just for future purposes, it's "offense."
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 10
scarface84
scarface84
11/30/2005 10:19 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonNo you haven't. You've heard my parody band, which is beyond your comprehension.

Edit: PS, yes, even what you HAVE heard of mine is more intelligent than anything Yngwie has come up with. See, I have musical sensibilities, Yngwie has none.

Beyond my comprehension? Look, i think it's childish. maybe if you were 10 i'd accept it, but you said you were 20, right? And, no, now you're just being arrogant about it; "yngwie has none" ???

English is a third language for me, it goes 1.persian 2.swedish 3.english in order of fluency.
# 11
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
11/30/2005 10:23 pm
Originally Posted by: scarface84Beyond my comprehension? Look, i think it's childish. maybe if you were 10 i'd accept it, but you said you were 20, right? And, no, now you're just being arrogant about it; "yngwie has none" ???

English is a third language for me, it goes 1.persian 2.swedish 3.english in order of fluency.

That's why it's just for future reference.

What's childish? The lyrics or the melody? I'm talking about musicianship, not lyrical ability. Still, what about the lyrics is childish? If you correctly tell me what "Giant Fighting Robot" is about, I'll accept that the lyrics are childish and I took a foolish approach to voicing my point of view. Yes, Yngwie has none, or at least VERY close to it. The man listens to many great classical composers, yet his compositions clearly show his lack of understanding thereof.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 12
scarface84
scarface84
11/30/2005 10:26 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonThat's why it's just for future reference.

What's childish? The lyrics or the melody? I'm talking about musicianship, not lyrical ability. Still, what about the lyrics is childish? If you correctly tell me what "Giant Fighting Robot" is about, I'll accept that the lyrics are childish and I took a foolish approach to voicing my point of view. Yes, Yngwie has none, or at least VERY close to it. The man listens to many great classical composers, yet his compositions clearly show his lack of understanding thereof.

I'll have to listen to it again sometime before i can tell you, i only listened to a minute or two of it a few months ago, i couldn't take it any more than that. I'll let you know in a while, or if i forget, tomorrow ok?
# 13
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
11/30/2005 10:28 pm
Originally Posted by: scarface84I'll have to listen to it again sometime before i can tell you, i only listened to a minute or two of it a few months ago, i couldn't take it any more than that. I'll let you know in a while, or if i forget, tomorrow ok?

The lyrics are posted here: http://www.guitartricks.com/forum/showpost.php?p=137445&postcount=5

How about now?

By the way, I'm not saying you have to like it, just don't put the word "music" in quotation marks when referring to it as if it's not valid. I feel the melody is fairly strong and the hook is catchy (because it is), so I feel that's evidence of melodic sensibility. Also, music I've created has no bearing on my judgment, nor am I sure why you've brought it up. I simply stated that Yngwie is not a very good composer/songwriter. His fast runs are simply there to show off and have no bearing on the motion of the song. And if his fast runs conveyed some kind of feeling (i.e. Chopin, Liszt, Beethoven, Haydn, etc) I would think much better of him.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 14
scarface84
scarface84
11/30/2005 10:38 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonThe lyrics are posted here: http://www.guitartricks.com/forum/showpost.php?p=137445&postcount=5

How about now?

By the way, I'm not saying you have to like it, just don't put the word "music" in quotation marks when referring to it as if it's not valid. I feel the melody is fairly strong and the hook is catchy (because it is), so I feel that's evidence of melodic sensibility. Also, music I've created has no bearing on my judgment, nor am I sure why you've brought it up. I simply stated that Yngwie is not a very good composer/songwriter. His fast runs are simply there to show off and have no bearing on the motion of the song. And if his fast runs conveyed some kind of feeling (i.e. Chopin, Liszt, Beethoven, Haydn, etc) I would think much better of him.

Ok, fair enough. Look, i have to go to school in exactly 8 hours and 15 minutes, and i still have to take a shower and eat something before i go to sleep. I'll read the lyrics tomorrow, and let you know then. Btw i brought it up because you pretty much said yngwie sux, just in a nicer way, and i just compared it to your music. (see? no quotation marks this time ;))
# 15
alucard0941
alucard0941
11/30/2005 11:13 pm
MALMSTEEN!!!!!!!!!

...just to piss Jolly off

__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 16
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
11/30/2005 11:33 pm
Originally Posted by: alucard0941MALMSTEEN!!!!!!!!!

...just to piss Jolly off

Yeah, that pic's about right... generating enough gravity to have about a dozen small planets orbiting around him.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 17
stackny
stackny
11/30/2005 11:55 pm
I happen to be a big fan of Giant Fighting Robot.....

And for my teach, definitely Satch.
Dont shoot yourself in the head.
# 18
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/01/2005 3:39 am
The only song I really like of Malmsteens was a cover he and Ronnie James Dio did of Mr. Crowley. I'd have to say he's over rated but I won't compare my skill to his because there is none.

As for a teacher I'll take Schmange.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 19
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
12/01/2005 11:01 am
okay...i gotta add this one due to recent investigation....

jim hall.

everyone who doesn't know about him, i strongly recommend you check him out. he can probably play circles around you in ways you never thought of.
okay...my post is done...goodbye.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.