Been Hunting?

stackny
stackny
11/13/2005 4:27 am
Originally Posted by: bigbudaFor Sure! I did some fishing when I lived in Galveston. Mostly Speckled Trout and Red's. Me and some friends would go flounder giggin at night, that was pretty cool. We gigged a big stingray one night so my buddy could use it for shark bait. It was a pretty hairy experience.

I fish for smallmouth religiously up here in NY. I love small river fishing. Thats my main thing. The St Lawerence aint to bad either though. I would love to try inshore fishing sometime. I think Id really enjoy red fish and speckled trout fishing. Get into any big bass down there in Texas?
Dont shoot yourself in the head.
# 1
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
11/13/2005 4:31 am
Originally Posted by: stacknyI fish for smallmouth religiously up here in NY. I love small river fishing. Thats my main thing. The St Lawerence aint to bad either though. I would love to try inshore fishing sometime. I think Id really enjoy red fish and speckled trout fishing. Get into any big bass down there in Texas?

Oh Yeah, we got some nice large mouth bass. I've never caught one bigger than 8lbs. but I've seen other people do it. You would probably like to fish around Red River NM. it's sweet there for rainbow trout.
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 2
stackny
stackny
11/13/2005 4:57 am
Originally Posted by: bigbudaOh Yeah, we got some nice large mouth bass. I've never caught one bigger than 8lbs. but I've seen other people do it. You would probably like to fish around Red River NM. it's sweet there for rainbow trout.

An 8 pounder aint nothin to be ashamed of. My biggest from here is about 6 pounds when she was full of eggs in the spring. Thats big for up here. Trout are fun, but I bass fish more than anything.
# 3
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
11/13/2005 5:07 am
Originally Posted by: stacknyAn 8 pounder aint nothin to be ashamed of. My biggest from here is about 6 pounds when she was full of eggs in the spring. Thats big for up here. Trout are fun, but I bass fish more than anything.

If you really like to fish for bass then you would love to catch Redfish. Some red drum weigh over 35lbs. I caught one that was around 12lbs. When I hooked him I thought I'd caught a bus. They put up one hell of a fight.
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 4
stackny
stackny
11/13/2005 5:19 am
Originally Posted by: bigbudaIf you really like to fish for bass then you would love to catch Redfish. Some red drum weigh over 35lbs. I caught one that was around 12lbs. When I hooked him I thought I'd caught a bus. They put up one hell of a fight.

Yeah they bite on similar lures too. Lots of jerkbaits, spinnerbaits, and topwater. Definitely something I wanna try sometime.
# 5
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
11/13/2005 5:30 am
Originally Posted by: stacknyYeah they bite on similar lures too. Lots of jerkbaits, spinnerbaits, and topwater. Definitely something I wanna try sometime.

The Texas coast is great for catching Reds. Go to Galveston or try Corpus. You can get rooms for cheap around there as long as you don't go during the tourist season.
# 6
stackny
stackny
11/13/2005 5:46 am
Originally Posted by: bigbudaThe Texas coast is great for catching Reds. Go to Galveston or try Corpus. You can get rooms for cheap around there as long as you don't go during the tourist season.

Thanks for the tip. Ill keep that in mind if Im ever planning on doing some red fishing.
# 7
Mattd
Mattd
11/13/2005 2:34 pm
i couldn't go this year....and my dad tells me that he shot the biggest buck he ever shot, one of the other guys shoots one of the three biggest he's ever gotten up there(he's been up there since the 50's) and the day after he shot hnis he went to the stand i like and saw another 8 point buck. i was pretty mad i couldn't go.
# 8
rockonn91
rockonn91
11/13/2005 9:44 pm
yeahhh all we got in VA is some bigmouths...not too much else in my area.
i used to fish religiously, i was sweet at it.... havnt really gone out in awile tho.

and thats a niceee buck you got btw...nothing better than eating some venison you killed yourself :cool:
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 9
finger_cruncher
finger_cruncher
11/14/2005 3:24 am
I don't really believe in hunting, therefore I'll reserve my comments to myself. However, is it really appropriate to have your daughter right beside a dead animal carcass?
# 10
rockonn91
rockonn91
11/14/2005 3:32 am
Originally Posted by: finger_cruncherI don't really believe in hunting, therefore I'll reserve my comments to myself. However, is it really appropriate to have your daughter right beside a dead animal carcass?

i think she looks proud of her daddy. :p
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 11
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
11/14/2005 3:34 am
Originally Posted by: finger_cruncherI don't really believe in hunting, therefore I'll reserve my comments to myself. However, is it really appropriate to have your daughter right beside a dead animal carcass?

I guess it depends on what you define as appropriate. She's' smiling isn't she? That's priceless in my book. With a little practice and some luck she will be hunting before she's nine. I started when I was eight. Yes, girls do hunt. I know several that do and some are better at it than alot of guys I know. With a little more luck she will grow to understand that taking an animals life means food on the table and in your belly, that it's not some kind of game. She will understand the importance of killing an animal cleanly with one nice placed shot. One deer like that will give my family enough meat for the winter and I won't be buying any Wal-Mart meat. :cool:
# 12
stackny
stackny
11/14/2005 3:54 am

What do you mean you dont believe in hunting? Animals with no natural predators need to be hunted. Prevents car accidents and when deer get out of control, they can really do a number on a farmers crops. Not to mention they are TASTY. His daughter is just fine. Its not like the deer is diseased. Arent any diseases known to be passed from deer to humans anyways so its a pretty safe bet.
# 13
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
11/14/2005 4:13 am
Originally Posted by: stacknyWhat do you mean you dont believe in hunting? Animals with no natural predators need to be hunted. Prevents car accidents and when deer get out of control, they can really do a number on a farmers crops. Not to mention they are TASTY. His daughter is just fine. Its not like the deer is diseased. Arent any diseases known to be passed from deer to humans anyways so its a pretty safe bet.

Did you ever see the video of the buck that broke through the back door in a home 'cause he saw his reflection in the glass and thought it was another buck? Man that deer tore the s**t outta that house. That kind of thing comes from overpopulation as well. I have seen areas in San Antonio where dere are just standing in front lawns in a neighbor hood. Cars drive by and the deer don't even seem bothered a bit.
# 14
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
11/14/2005 4:14 am
Originally Posted by: bigbudaOne deer like that will give my family enough meat for the winter

Are you saying that a decent sized deer provides enough food to feed a family for an entire winter? I definitely need to take up hunting now.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 15
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
11/14/2005 4:16 am

Think of it like this. He's just doing his part so that he doesn't have to wrestle then break the deer's neck when it comes crashing in his daughter's bedroom at night.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 16
stackny
stackny
11/14/2005 4:18 am
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsThink of it like this. He's just doing his part so that he doesn't have to wrestle then break the deer's neck when it comes crashing in his daughter's bedroom at night.

AHAHAHAAHAHAHA!
# 17
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
11/14/2005 4:20 am
What, you think that hasn't actually happened?
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 18
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
11/14/2005 4:21 am
Originally Posted by: HammurabiWhat, you think that hasn't actually happened?

I was making a reference to that actually. I just didn't feel like finding the link myself, so my gratitude to you for finding it for me. You've supported my lazy ass. Hats off.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 19
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
11/14/2005 4:21 am
Originally Posted by: HammurabiAre you saying that a decent sized deer provides enough food to feed a family for an entire winter? I definitely need to take up hunting now.

Sure. The deer I shot field dressed at roughly 160lbs. I will get back 20lbs of regular summer sausage. 20lbs of summer sauasge with cheese and jalapenos. 15lbs of breakfeast sausage. 5-10lbs of backstrap steak. Whatever is left goes towards hamburger meat, should be around 20lbs or more of hamburger. I figure about 85lbs of meat or more. How long would it take you to consume 85lbs of meat?

By the way, the last whitetail I shot was an 11 point buck that field dressed at 200lbs. Imagine how much meat I got back off that awesome deer!
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.