Stumming Help Please!

Mart_Man
Mart_Man
05/22/2001 6:25 pm
Hey. I was wonding if any of you could help me out with strumming with fingers.

I have a few questions on this. Witch finger do you strum with? (is middle ok? But still witch finger do YOU strum with?) Do you just stick your finger out and pluck the strings? When i strum i always hit the string with the bit of skin above the nail witch makes it bleed, Any pointers?

And the question that really gets to me about strumming with fingers...HOW ARE YOU MEANT TO STRUM UP?!?!

ANY help at all i will appreciate a lot. Please Help, thanx,

MART
People don't know me, they only know about me.
# 1

05/22/2001 8:51 pm
I think folk players typically use their thumb or maybe middle and index fingers. Whatever they use, I'm sure they don't strum very hard if they don't have a pick, certainly not hard enough to draw blood.

Classical (and especially flamenco) players on the other hand strum very hard with their fingers. This is easier to do because of the nylon strings. They use middle, index and perhaps ring fingers and rely a lot on their nails to do the work.
# 2
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
05/23/2001 5:44 am
If you're drawing blood when you're strumming, you may be strumming just a bit too hard. Try toning it down a little.

First off, unless you absolutely have to use your hand, I would recommend strumming with a pick. You'll get better tone, a more even strum of the strings, and easier control of the strum.

When I do have the occasion to strum using the fingers, here's how I do it - I hold my hand straight over the strings and put all four fingers together so the fingernails make a sort of flat edge. Then I form a "J" shape with my four fingers together and strum down hitting the strings with my fingernails. On the upstroke I release the "J", or scoop, shape, and keeping my fingers together, strum upward with the tips of the fingers touching the strings.

Heh, hope that made sense. Too bad I can't just show you. Take it easy, Mart.

# 3
Josh Tatum
Josh Tatum
06/02/2001 9:58 pm
You might try using your thumb to start out with I rember I had alot of trouble strumming especilly with the upstroke but you have to just get the feel of the song and the upstroke will come you might also try using a pick just hit the strings lightly and keep rythem with the song and you'll have it down soon.
# 4
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/26/2001 11:53 pm
Try using your nails. Keep your fingers kinda loose and on the down strum use the top of your first finger & on the up strum use your thumb nail. For soft strumming use the side of your thumb.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.