I got Cubase SX3 but I don't know how to use it

ngcheongm
ngcheongm
11/01/2005 5:48 pm
Hello there,

I recently got the Cubase SX 3 DVD and want to record an own song of mine but don't know how to program drums, bass and keyboards. anybody can help me please? thanks a lot
Yann
# 1
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
11/01/2005 8:44 pm
You might want to go through a tutorial(should be in the help file)or just read the help file...help file.
Try once,fail twice...
# 2
Superhuman
Superhuman
11/01/2005 8:46 pm
Is this a cracker or an original? IF it's the original, the only way to gfet your head around it is to go through the manual. Start with the quick setup booklet then graduate onto the full manual. If it's a cracker, then download the pdf manual from steinberg.com (once you get good at it you will probably want to get the original anyway!)
I found a couple of great books on amazon that show you how to get started right through to mastering for a cd. Get a few of these, they are the only quick way to learn easily. Best buy in my collection: "Fast Guide To Cubase SX" by Simon MIllward (make sure you get the SX3 version)
It is far too difficult to explain in a forum and will take you a while to get up and running even with the books. Just stick with it and you will be making music after about a month (you will find that you may have to download some VST plugins and/or invest in some patches). Also, you will have to get a midi keyboard that can connect to you pc, you also need a proper soundcard and your pc must have enough RAM to be able to handle the software.
# 3
ngcheongm
ngcheongm
11/02/2005 4:07 am
thanks guys for the tips i am reading it as from today!! Will give you feedback about my progression!

superhuman,

I have 768MB RAM is this enough? I have an integrated sound card but I don't know if it's an appropriate one? thanks

Yan
# 4
Superhuman
Superhuman
11/02/2005 10:20 am
Originally Posted by: ngcheongm
I have 768MB RAM is this enough? I have an integrated sound card but I don't know if it's an appropriate one? thanks

Yan

768MB should do it for recording guitar parts and basic midi BUT if you use a VST with very large files such as StormDrum or Symphonic Orchestra (some files could be a1GB) you will find latency becomes a problem. I had to upgrade to 2GB of Ram AND get a pro soundcard before I could work with the above plug-ins while recording large guitar files. Onboard soundcards are usually not that great... However, it all depends on what you are doing. Upgrade when you notice bad sound quality, pops, cracks and hisses (that are not caused by other equipmnnt) and latency problems. Latency can be cause by a combination of CPU power, RAM and your soundcard. If you are going to upgrade, don't get Creative Labs Soundblaster (they are not designed for music production), get something by M-Audio (Audiophile or Delta). Anyway, your onboard card SHOULD be ok for the time being.
# 5
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/02/2005 1:08 pm
You'll have to make some compromises if you don't want to increase it.
You can usually get around it by using an alternate instrument to record with and then exporting the finished file using the actual software. That way the cpu isn't tied up actually playing the file in real time.
Like with TheGrand. you can use another lo-fi piano to record with. Then export the sound using TheGrand. Or with heavy synth sounds ilike Absynth, you just use an alternate synth sound from something else to record the notes with, then export it and listen to the results.
It slows you down, but there's an actual advantage in that you're forced to spend more time on the individual parts. Sometimes computer recording speeds things up so much that you don't stop to get a fresh perspective on what you're recording.

The end result though, is eventually you're gonna have to get more ram and the fastest CPU you can get. The new stuff coming out just won't work on slower computers.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.