View post (What do you think about Slipknot)

View thread

Djentizm
Djentizm
10/03/2002 12:30 pm
Originally posted by aiwass
Slipknot is a highly controversial band, and whether you like them or not is a matter of taste. Personally, i like some of the stuff on their second album (the one before Iowa). HOWEVER: Some people here are claiming that they do not have talent! Well excuse me! You obviously haven't done yer homework! Their main drummer (Joey Jordison) is one of the cleanest, fastest drummers in the business, however he is merely "OK" compared to the skill of "lead" guitarist Mick Thomson (they don't really let him play lead, though...). Earlier this year, Total Guitar Magazine interviewed Mick Thomson and had him give a shred lesson (with plenty of sound clips on the Total Guitar CD, if I may add), and it f*cking kicked ass! His picking technique makes Yngwie look like Eric Clapton in terms of speed, and his sweeping technique is simply outrageous, climbing up and down the fretboard as much as seven frets! Give his fretwork a listen before you judge, eh? Besides, Slipknot don't sound like nu metal at all. They're only NEW, not NU!

[Edited by aiwass on 08-07-2002 at 09:11 AM]

i agree withyou totally! although they scream in like every song they are still the only good new metal band out there and personally i looove the screaming, i droool over it. honestly alot of the guitarist in this forum are still hardcore into the days of the guitar gods/heroes where every songs "gotta have that KILLER GUITAR SOLO!! YEAH MAN"
those days are long gone. the only metal band that can pull off amazing guitar solos now a days is Fredrick Thordendal of Meshuggah, but thats a whole other story, hes better then ANYONE now a days and makes Dimebag look like the whimpy metal player that he is. and yes mike thomson is faster then Yngwie whatever the **** that guys name is. you have to be if you want to play that type of metal. and bout the drummer, hes more of a jazz drummer, i heard in an interview that he doesnt even really like metal all that much hahaha.. i agree when you say that Slipknot arent like the NU metal bands, they dont fall in that department at all. honestly try transcribing some of their work...its quite out there...and if they arent metal, then what kinda music is it?...yeah, i guess you could call it noise too, thats what it sounds like when you first hear it:D
i am the shredder