WTF is a tube amp?

stackny
stackny
10/26/2005 8:43 pm
Ive heard the words "tube amp" a lot lately. WTF is it and how is it different from a regular amp?
Dont shoot yourself in the head.
# 1
Willdridge
Willdridge
10/26/2005 9:06 pm
A 'Tube' amp is the same as a valve amp.

I think 'Valve' and 'Tube' are simply British and American words for the same thing, (although I could be wrong on that, anybody?)

I'm assuming you know what a valve amp is and that that's answered your question, but I can give you more details if you need.

Out of interest, what do you mean by "regular"? The only other kind of amp (at least that I'm aware of) is a Solid-state, (or transistor). These have become increasingly popular over the years due to their price and reliability, (and I must admit, they're starting to catch up on tone compared to valve's too).

Hope that's of some use.
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 2
3fingeredblues
3fingeredblues
10/26/2005 9:18 pm
Originally Posted by: stacknyIve heard the words "tube amp" a lot lately. WTF is it and how is it different from a regular amp?

Wow.

A tube amp is a regular amplifier just that happens to use vacume tubes, or valves as the brits call 'em. Have you ever seen an antique radio or telivision? They used to be powered by tubes, but transitors came along and made it cheaper and more reliable to manufacture these products, and the same happened with amplifiers. Some people (engineers) thought it would make sense to build amplifiers using these new gadgets that could replace tubes and would be reliable....and it does make sense on paper, just not in real life. What the egineers didn't acoount for was the quality of "sound", which of course is very subjective.

I would recomend you go to a music store and compare solid state(transistor) amplifiers to all tube amplifiers. Use the same guitar and the same settings on the different amplifiers....I think you will notice a difference in the quality of sound.

Somebody else please help explain this further, as I'm not sure that this is a satisfactory explanation........
# 3
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
10/26/2005 9:30 pm
Also, when a Tube Amp is cranked up, the sound is magic to (most) people's ears. Just think of anything classic rock and its almost 99% of the time gonna be a tube amp. Solid state amps sound like dog s**t when cranked. Just go to the stereo in your car and turn it up all the way. Crappy sound.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 4
Willdridge
Willdridge
10/26/2005 9:38 pm
Originally Posted by: Tele MasterAlso, when a Tube Amp is cranked up, the sound is magic to (most) people's ears. Just think of anything classic rock and its almost 99% of the time gonna be a tube amp. Solid state amps sound like dog s**t when cranked. Just go to the stereo in your car and turn it up all the way. Crappy sound.

To play devil's advocate once more, (although with not much conviction!): I honestly do believe that solid-state's are starting *almost* rival valve's, (although off the top of my head I can't back this up with any examples); but it's been an awfully long time coming and I think they've still got a long way to go.

I've considered buying a solid-state because of the reliability, (plus I've had so many problems with my valve amp it's just not funny any more). But I think at the end of the day, like you guys say, you really can't beat the tone of a well made valve amp - if it worked for Hendrix/Santana/'Stones/anyone else you'd care to mention here, then dammit, reliability isn't that big an issue.
# 5
stackny
stackny
10/26/2005 9:55 pm
Guys, I am basically guitar terminology retarded. I just started playing 6 months ago and Im attempting to learn what Im talking about. I really know nothing about any kind of equipment.
Dont shoot yourself in the head.
# 6
Willdridge
Willdridge
10/26/2005 10:07 pm
Best thing I can recommend then is doing some search via Google (or your prefered search engine) along the lines of:

A) What is a Valve amp

B) What is a Transistor* Amp

C) Transistor* versus Valve Amps

*Try "Solid State" too/instead

You should be able to find a wealth of information that should help bring you up to speed on terminology and give you some idea what we're going on about.

I would try doing the searches for you, but I can't be certain what exactly you want to know, so try the above as a "starter-for-ten" and see where that get's you. Anything you're not sure about, ask here at GT and we'll all gladly try and help.

Regards,
Chris.
# 7
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
10/27/2005 2:40 am
I always hear lots of people having trouble with their tube amps. I've had tube amps for 4 years now, constant gigging, hauling to practices, rain, cold weather, hot weather, moisture, to the studio...never once had a problem.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 8
3fingeredblues
3fingeredblues
10/27/2005 2:47 am
Originally Posted by: Tele MasterI always hear lots of people having trouble with their tube amps. I've had tube amps for 4 years now, constant gigging, hauling to practices, rain, cold weather, hot weather, moisture, to the studio...never once had a problem.

Well aren't you the lucky one?!? What brand and model do you use? Even though you haven't yet had a problem do you still take extra fuses and tubes with you to the gig/practice?
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.