Lying eyes strum pattern

musicgu7
Yo mamma is so fat...
musicgu7
Yo mamma is so fat...
10/24/2005 1:35 am
Hi,
Although I seem to be able to absorb a lot of guitar theory (mostly after practicing a lotttt :D ) I still cant just listen to a song and get the strum pattern...but then again, I'm quite a newbie :-)

Anyway, I was hoping someone out here can give me the strum pattern for "The Eagles - Lying eyes"

Something like this would be helpful (this is how i learnt the pattern for Lennon's - Imagine )

Down, down, down, down-up
etc

or for "John Lennon's - Woman" (this actually has two ways)
1. (slow) down-up,down-up,down-up,down-up etc
or
2. Down, down, down, down-up

Thanks!
- They call it "PMS" because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken.

- Ah, yes, divorce.., from the Latin word meaning to rip out a man's genitals through his wallet. -- Robin Williams
# 1
Bluesman Jack
Bluesman Jack
10/24/2005 2:18 pm
Cool, another eagles fan!!!

It's kind of a laid back, country strum. Just let your hand strum up and down with the rythm of the song and hit the strings when it feels and sounds right. Don't worry if it's up or down. I coached soccer with the guy that played all the guitar parts on one of Bob Seagers albums. Thats him when you here "old time rock and roll". He's a blues guitarist who says that was his 15 minutes of fame. Anyhow, I have the same problem and he's always telling me, when we jam together that I'm thinking about it too much. "Play, don't work" is what he says. Makes sense, we're playing music, not working music.

P.S. His name is Forrest Mcdonald, great unsung blues player. Check him out at ForrestMcdonald.com. I think thats the site.
# 2
Willdridge
Willdridge
10/24/2005 5:10 pm
I've only played this a few times with my band, (and I can't remember how much we covered the Eagles, or if we just played the song). But I've strummed it:

D - D - U - U - D U (repeat)

Bluesman Jack's right though, it's more a feel than actual strokes. Try playing along to the record - this should help you get the chord changes exactly right - once you know were you're starting and supposed to finish, a lot of the time the rhythm sort's itself out (with practice and patience of course.)
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 3
musicgu7
Yo mamma is so fat...
musicgu7
Yo mamma is so fat...
10/24/2005 8:23 pm
Hey,
Thanks guys!

I know what you guys mean about following the music instead of thinking about it so much...for example when I started playing "Cat Stevens - Wild World" I was "thinking playing" instead of "playing playing"...but after practicing the song over and over and over....I now play it according to how it "feels" right, meaning that sometimes i add an extra "downup" or "down" or "up"

BUT .......I think i reached the final stage much quicker and more confident because I started on the "correct way" of counting down,down,downup....etc

I really do envy you guys who listen to a song and immediatly pick up your guitar and get the strum pattern :mad: :eek:

Cheers!

- Ah, yes, divorce.., from the Latin word meaning to rip out a man's genitals through his wallet. -- Robin Williams
# 4
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
10/24/2005 8:36 pm
Yes, It definetly has a Country and Western bass line - if you take the cue from the bass line rather than the drums it might help.
Briiliant Song
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 5
terry
Guitar Tricks Instructor
terry
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/25/2005 3:49 am
Hi, well i am am an instructor on here, Terry Couch, and i have a lot of the Eagles Tunes on my site if it will help any, just click on my Tuturals "Eagles Guitar Licks" i guess i spelled Tuturals right but i doubt it, anyway you get the picture i guess, hope i can help.
# 6
musicgu7
Yo mamma is so fat...
musicgu7
Yo mamma is so fat...
10/25/2005 9:54 am
Hey Terry,
Thanks for replying.

Happy to know we Eagles fans are coming out of the shadows :-D

Can you copy and paste the link to your Eagles licks?
I am a bit confused as to where it is.

Thanks!

# 7
terry
Guitar Tricks Instructor
terry
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/25/2005 5:59 pm
Well i dont know how to do the copy and paste yet but its as simple as this, just go to the main front page of Guitartricks.com and click on my name, Terry Couch and then just click on "Eagles Guitar Licks" on the Tutorals, its on my front page, it will go to the "Hotel California" song first then just keep clicking "Next" untill you find the one you want to learn.
# 8
Bluesman Jack
Bluesman Jack
10/26/2005 2:25 am
You guys should check out www.olga.net. On Line Guitar Archives. They've got tabs/chds listed for just about anything you can think of.
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.