Instructing

Willdridge
Willdridge
10/16/2005 4:45 pm
Hi Jon/GT instructors

I've been considering applying as an instructor here on GT, but I have a few doubts that I'd like to settle myself with...
I did apply quite a while ago and was rejected (I understand why, so that's not really the issue); I'd just like some more information on where I can target my intended lessons....

Before I begin, my first question is: Is there a minimum amount of lessons an instructor has to have, or provide per month/annum, (once they've been accepted)? What would happen if I were called away with work a week after being accepted and therefore couldn't contribute for a while? (The likeliness at this point is negligable, I'm just curious)

Anyway, onto the main points...

A) I've looked at the "Becoming an instructor" section and it says that you're currently only recruiting people with video capability. I haven't got this at the moment - is it not even worth trying to apply until I get the technology? Or, if my lessons can offer something of genuine benefit, would this criteria be overlooked?

B) In terms of lessons, what are you actually looking for? Is it as much theory (not necessarily with examples) or is it techniques with excercises? Or a combination of both?

C) My first thought is lessons on rhythm playing in various styles, (from metal to country, funk to folk). This could cover chords, their theory and how to add interesting variations, to actual grooves, riffs and excercises to help improve timing. Is this something you feel the site could do with, or has this been covered already by the likes of Schmange and others? (I have back-up plans, so I'm not too concerned if it's been covered, but it is the area I feel I could bring a lot of experience to)

Or, ultimately, is it just a case of submitting a few things and letting you guys decide if the site needs them or not?

Appreciate any advice or suggestions, thanks in advance.

Regards,
Chris.
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 1
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
10/17/2005 4:34 pm
Hi,
Thanks for asking!
Video lessons are so much more popular than audio lessons, that we really are only accepting new instructors who have a video capability.

What you would need is a video camera and video capture card. This would probably cost around $500 to buy, depending on what you get.

We already have a good amount of audio lessons for blues/rock/country/metal. But we need video lessons for all those styles, particulary for country and metal.

If you were a bluegrass or flamenco wizard, we would probably let the video thing slide. Most people only dabble in those styles, and we really want someone who lives and breathes those styles to show us how its done.

Hope that helps.

Jon
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
10/17/2005 4:36 pm
About your other questions: 8 lessons to become an instructor, then 4 annually thereafter. If you lapse for a year, you can come back the next year.

I think your chord/rhythm ideas would be welcome.
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
Willdridge
Willdridge
10/17/2005 5:02 pm
Thanks for the reply Jon. I'll look into video cards, etc; I'll admit $500 (which I think is about £250 - £350) was a little more than I would have hoped to pay, but as you say that would depend on what, (and where!) I bought it. Are there any particular models you could recommend as a starting point for my research, (or should I stop being lazy and post a thread in Gear?! :p)?

I have only dabbled myself in flamenco; although I've been playing mandolin for a while and have been considering getting seriously into bluegrass, so who knows?! Time'll tell I suppose

Thanks again for your response, been a great help

Regards,
Chris.
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.