Busted Nut!

R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
10/15/2005 12:52 am
Yep, so I've lived up to my signature. My nut on my Epi SG just broke along it's top edge, taking with it half of the slot that holds the bass E string. Naturally I'm very disappointed. :( I was just playing it a few days ago and it was fine. I don't even know how it happened, yet I suspect the heavy gauge strings (bass E = 52) I recently tried out are the culprit.
So my questions are:
1. Is this a replacement that could be done by me, a novice in this aspect, and still be worth it in savings of time and money?
2. If so, should I buy a pre-slotted nut, or a blank and file my own?

I've replaced tuners that needed bigger holes successfully before, so I'm not afraid to tackle a project, but I don't want to permanently damage it either. So...
3. Suggestions? Previous expierence?
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 1
RobSm
RobSm
10/15/2005 4:41 am
Try the free info at http://www.stemac.com but resist buying every tool that gets a mention also the mimf web site http://www.mimf.com

If you register at MIMF you can access their archives.

Also try a google because I have seen a step by step photo by photo description of making a nut and it is excellent. I'm sorry to say I can't find the link anywhere..but Since you're confident I'd say go for it and plan on making at least two. LOL.
Robbo
# 2
RobSm
RobSm
10/15/2005 9:03 am
...I found the link I mentioned previously...

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Technique/Setup/NewNut/newnut1.html

Good luck!!
Robbo
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
10/15/2005 3:29 pm
Originally Posted by: R. Shackleferd... So my questions are:
1. Is this a replacement that could be done by me, a novice in this aspect, and still be worth it in savings of time and money?
2. If so, should I buy a pre-slotted nut, or a blank and file my own? ...

[font=trebuchet ms]That .052" E string was probably too thick for the slot, and that caused the nut to fracture. Slotting a nut properly involves a lot of decisions and subtle finesse. Some questions you will need to answer along the way:

What material?
How much material to leave at each side?
How much space between each string and the next one?
How deep should the slots be?
How should the slots be shaped to allow free movement without pinching or buzzing?

Even a pre-slotted nut will need to be adjusted for the set of strings you want to use.
[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
10/16/2005 7:09 pm
Ok, so I went to Guitar Center to buy a nut, yet they didn't have one that would fit...besides they only sold those cheap plastic ones for $.89. So I have a Graphtech nut on the way from Stewmac, which I'll replace myself and modify as needed. Oh, and good news for now also: I was able to find the piece that broke off and glue it back on for now. It's holding, so I'll be able to jam until the replacement comes. I'll update once I get the new one in.
[/FONT]
# 5
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
10/20/2005 5:30 pm
Ok, I got the new one in. It was way easier than I thought. I didn't even end up using any tools except a razor to score around the edges (to prevent finish peeling off with it)...just pulled it out with my fingers. The new one sat way too low, so I just cut a couple of layers of the thick envelope it came in and sat those under it for added height. Seems just about perfect now. I still need to glue it in to make it final, but all is well. It's even improved my action a little.
[/FONT]
# 6
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
10/20/2005 5:41 pm
[font=trebuchet ms]Blessed is he that falls through the ****house floor and comes up smelling like a rose![/font] :cool:
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.