Decisions, Decisions... head suggestions?

Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
10/12/2005 4:11 am
Ok, there comes a time when live shows must be taken into consideration. Basically I've got access to a cab and all I need right now is a head. I've got some ideas on things and I'm with a bit of a budget. I've been thinking about a Carvin SX300H in particular, but I've also been considering Mesa Boogie, Peavey and Marshall. Any thoughts or suggestions?
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
10/12/2005 5:18 am
[font=trebuchet ms]There should be more to the back cover of this cab, and there should be a grille where that particle-board is, but if you can get >this< monster and fix it up, you'll never need another amp for the rest of your life![/font] :cool:
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
10/12/2005 2:49 pm
My Peavey Triple XXX is still for sale if you want it. Look in the "Gear For Sale" thread.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 3
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
10/12/2005 6:14 pm
I've tried out a marshall JCM2000 TSL100 half stack and it sounds amazing! it's the best sounding amp I've ever heard. and I've also tried out a mesa triple rectofier halfstack, and it was also really good, but they fit two different styles, I'd get the mesa for hard rock/metal and the marshall for anything that needs a good overdrive (blues, classic rock, whatever) though it still has the potential for high distortion stuff too, it just doesn't quite match up to the mesa on that one.

I've never played a peavey or a carvin. but I can say marshall tube amps are awesome
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 4
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
10/13/2005 12:59 am
As much as I'd like to just up and splurge on the XXX, it might be a bit out of my price range. I'm still taking thinsg into consideration though, so we'll see.

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 5
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
10/13/2005 2:21 am
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsAs much as I'd like to just up and splurge on the XXX, it might be a bit out of my price range. I'm still taking thinsg into consideration though, so we'll see.

yet you're going to afford a mesa or marshall head??
my spyspace
# 6
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
10/13/2005 2:59 am
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrsyet you're going to afford a mesa or marshall head??

I never said that. Nor did I say I wasn't going to. I said it might be out of my price range. I've got budgetting to do and bills to pay. If things work out then I very well might go ahead and buy the Peavey or a Marshall or Mesa or whatever. But I'm not paying money right now. I'm scoping the territory.

Hulk Smash!!

# 7
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
10/13/2005 3:04 am
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsI never said that. Nor did I say I wasn't going to. I said it might be out of my price range. I've got budgetting to do and bills to pay. If things work out then I very well might go ahead and buy the Peavey or a Marshall or Mesa or whatever. But I'm not paying money right now. I'm scoping the territory.

ok, nothing wrong with that, in fact, I do it almost constantly. figure out what stuff I want to buy before I can afford it. hey that's cool, no need to get angry (your post sounded angry) I just thought that since you mentioned marshall and mesa that your price range would be quite high.
my spyspace
# 8
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
10/13/2005 4:06 am
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrsok, nothing wrong with that, in fact, I do it almost constantly. figure out what stuff I want to buy before I can afford it. hey that's cool, no need to get angry (your post sounded angry) I just thought that since you mentioned marshall and mesa that your price range would be quite high.

Yeah, I didn't really mean to come off angry. I thought it sounded kind of tense too, but when it came to rewording it I thought that it said everything I wanted to say just right, only with a bad atmosphere following, so I figured I'd take a leap of faith and hope no one would notice. So, sorry about that. And it's a legit point, the Mesa and Marshall prices. Which is why I'm currently leaning most biased towards the Carvin since it's $300, but I want to know that it's going to be worth it or if I should just save up my lunch money and get something better. That kind of thing.

Hulk Smash!!

# 9
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
10/13/2005 4:48 am
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsYeah, I didn't really mean to come off angry. I thought it sounded kind of tense too, but when it came to rewording it I thought that it said everything I wanted to say just right, only with a bad atmosphere following, so I figured I'd take a leap of faith and hope no one would notice. So, sorry about that. And it's a legit point, the Mesa and Marshall prices. Which is why I'm currently leaning most biased towards the Carvin since it's $300, but I want to know that it's going to be worth it or if I should just save up my lunch money and get something better. That kind of thing.

carvin makes a tube amp for $600... twice the price, but probably twice as nice (sweet, I rhymed)

no, I have no experience with carvin, sorry
my spyspace
# 10
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
10/13/2005 4:22 pm
It will be going on ebay this weekend.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 11
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
10/13/2005 5:23 pm
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrscarvin makes a tube amp for $600... twice the price, but probably twice as nice (sweet, I rhymed)

no, I have no experience with carvin, sorry

Yeah, and that's the one thing that has me somewhat hesitant about the Carvin. I've got no experience with them. I've worked with both Peavey and Marshall and I enjoy both very much, but on the other hand, I'd like to try something else and Carvin as well as Mesa both have reputable names. Only problem with Carvin is that the only way I'm gonna get to try one before I buy one (there's a rhyme for you) is if I take a trip to California... which isn't happening. So if I get a Carvin it's a leap of faith, but I'm interested enough in them to consider the leap. Horns of a dilemma. I know of a place not too far from me that sells Mesa so I'm probably gonna take a trip down there later today and check out that territory.

Hulk Smash!!

# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.