Ear training

cjpwood
cjpwood
10/11/2005 11:34 am
Hey all, Does anyone have any advice on ear training. i have been playing for aobut a year now and am not bad. but i cant decifer a note at all. Im fine with intervals and fine with distinguishing diffrent chord types (minor, major, aug, sus etc) but i cant work out a note at all. not even slightly, when a note is played on its own i dont have a clue! even when a chord is strummed i cant tell which chord it is.

PLEASE HELP!!1argh! :eek:

cjpw
# 1
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
10/11/2005 9:48 pm
Ear training.... takes a very, very, very long time and a lot of dedication. it's one of those things that you just can't go into expecting over night results. And after only a year of playing, you're setting an awful high standard to expect to tell the name of a chord upon listening. I've been working with my ears for probably longer than you've been playing and I still can't tell you what note is what, but I'm able to tell when a different note has been played or say a note is played then again at a higher/lower octave, but I couldn't hear a note and say "that's a G." As far as training goes, I've got a couple of programs that I bust out here and there which help, but probably one of the best things to use with a program or any method is your brain and some good ol' thinking. I've found that I can chug away at my programs all I want but if I don't take the time to think about what it is that makes one note different from another, then I'm not really getting anywhere. There's not much else to say other than give it some good, focused listening. Programs help in that they give you something to dedicate your focused listening to. But in any case, don't expect perfect pitch. Most people never get the gift of perfect pitch and even fewer memorize the notes past 4 years of age, but by all means, do what you can. Not enough people know what they're doing in music and (my opinion is talking now) there's no better way to write a song than to know fully everything that you're doing. So good luck to you and if I didn't help you as much as you wished then sorry... I'm lame, what can I say.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 2
cjpwood
cjpwood
10/11/2005 10:17 pm
cheers, made me feel better to know other people find it difficult! i found a good web site actually that may help, http://www.good-ear.com
# 3
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
10/13/2005 4:55 am
Originally Posted by: cjpwoodcheers, made me feel better to know other people find it difficult! i found a good web site actually that may help, http://www.good-ear.com

try also http://www.prolobe.com/ (though I think the site is down right now)
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 4
Solidus04
Solidus04
10/16/2005 5:59 am
Training your ears is hard. the only thing i can recognize are drums and the Bass guitar. its hard to hear the Electric
# 5
kill em all
kill em all
10/18/2005 2:50 am
Check out "perfect pitch ear training supercourese", and their more expensive relative pitch course, I don't have either (poor as hell) but I know someone who swears by it. Says he could instantly hear the pitch "colors". Again I don't have either course so don't blame me if it's a waste of 388 of your bucks.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.