Gibson vrs Fender?

Fenderalltheway
Fenderalltheway
10/04/2005 4:23 pm
The ultimate question. im not gana ask wich is beter, cuz u cnt say, but i want your opinion, wich u like beter?a fender?or a gibson?in my opinion i like fenders, they have a great sound, they are classic electrics, and are good priced. what do you think?
"When you want to rock hard children, lean of F#."
# 1
Fenderalltheway
Fenderalltheway
10/04/2005 10:59 pm
ur right i just like 2 c wat people think,but i think gibsons are way overpriced...
# 2
alucard0941
alucard0941
10/05/2005 12:11 am
you know guys, there are many more better guitars than Fender and Gibsons

...(GASP!!! OMG I CANT BELIVE HE JUST SAID THERE ARE BETTER GUITARS THAN FENDER AND GIBSON!!! THAT CANNOT BE!!!!!! BUT NO!!!!!) I know in all the guitar books out there, the only guitars they mention are Fender and Gibsons, well for all you people who think those are the only quality guitars out there listen up:

May I add that Stratocasters and Telecasters, and Les Pauls are not even as close in quality as what they used to be at their birth. Now you can find many more guitars better than those companies, but no one choosed them cause you gotta have the the name brand... ;)

I belive if your gonna shell out 2000 bucks on a gibson thats mass produced, made in a factory and comes in box from the local guitar center, you might aswell slap yourself in the face if you were going to buy that guitar for the sound. You should take in some consideration into handmade guitars about the same price. They will offer much more in a guitar with precise details in qualitly.
You guys should visit some local guitar stores that are run privatly and see what they have to offer. Usually, they dont carry big name brands and only carry the stuff you cant find at the Guitar Center, and the really rare handmade guitars priced to compete with big name brands.

this is a Heritage guitar. They built this Les Paul copy that can mop the floors with any Gibson. Its handmade and costs $1199.99 while a Gibson Les Paul can cost in the same price range but is made in factory my machines.
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 3
SPL
SPL
10/05/2005 5:30 pm
I'd go for a nice Fender Telecaster.

That said, I think it would be the last guitar I'd buy to complete my collection.
# 4
ren
ren
10/05/2005 5:50 pm
Just get one of each.... I wouldn't be without my tele or my SG....

Don't buy a new gibbo though - the quality control is crap.

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 5
sigment frued
sigment frued
10/05/2005 9:17 pm
Originally Posted by: Fenderallthewayi like fenders, they have a great sound, they are classic electrics, and are good priced.

hence your name............
cowardice lies beneath the skin,
through your you see power love peace,
i see betrayal hate a grudge flourished through time.

then comes the solo
www.siroccoband.com
# 6
gogogo
gogogo
10/06/2005 12:34 am
For what I play Fender gives me the versatility. But I would rather go with a prs
# 7
jk_647
jk_647
10/06/2005 10:04 am
Yeh man Wht is it always with the whole gibson vs fender thing man there are way better makes out there and i think on my personal prefrence if your gunna be shelling out alot of money for a guitar go for a prs or something. Now they are buetiful handmade guitars and worth every penny!!!! But guitar are always down to the individual but as the whole thread is for gibson cough overpirced cough cough vs fender i would have to go for fender at the moment as i like the shape the feel and the sound!!! :D
Why doesn't my amp go up to 11, :(
Spinal Tap Rock
# 8
aschleman
aschleman
10/06/2005 2:48 pm
The reason its always Fender vs Gibson is because they're histroically the big two when it comes to guitars. For as long as electrics guitars have been around... since the early 50's... everyone has to make this choice. You were one or the other... Now there are many other manufacturers out there to choose from. With the explosion of metal in the 80's Gibson and Fender found themselves out of their niche... Gibsons... more specifically Les Pauls, are historically known as better rock guitars... and Fenders... specifically Stratocasters, are known to be blues guitars with the versatility to play any type of music. I have been raised into Fenders... and its all I know. But Niether is neccessarily better than the other... I like Fenders AND Gibsons because both guitars carry so much history. Where as PRS, Ibanez, ESP, Jackson, and so on don't carry the weight that the big two carry. I would die for any one of my Stratocasters... so I guess you could say I'm a Fender man.
# 9
Blues_Man
Blues_Man
10/06/2005 9:22 pm
Fender, Fender, Fender....
I am Comfortably Numb... :D

Oh yeah...STICK IT TO THE MAN!
# 10
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
10/06/2005 10:29 pm
I don't know, I love my gibson... but, I kinda want to buy a fender too.

btw... gibsons are half made by machine, and half hand built. certain things (like cutting out the body shape) are better done by machine, whereas others (like fret filing) are better done by hand... gibsons are like a hybrid of the two, and the results are nice (for me anyway, maybe I just got lucky)

yes, there may be better brands out there, I just haven't played any yet.
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 11
platinum321
platinum321
10/07/2005 3:01 am
The only reason anyone spends the kind of money they do on a Gibson is so that the guitar says Gibson.

It is certainly not because they are getting a better guitar. It's a label thing or a marketing gimick if you like.

One of the most astounding bits O marketing I have seen in a long time is the Charvel they had Eddie VanHalen tape up. Insane!!!!! It amazes me what people buy into just because of a name.

Fender though pricey for what you get is still a bit more level than the Gibson.

But cripes you can spend three hundred bux and get a guitar that plays as well and sounds as nice as any Fender or Gibson.

What was it Barnam said? Oh yea.. "There is a sucker born every "friggin" minute" I added the friggin part for color.

Anyway kids keep jamin no matter what you play.

Platinum321
# 12
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
10/07/2005 5:26 am
Schecter is making a nice mahogony body guitar now with actual Seymour Duncans *not duncan design, arggg* or you can get the EMG 81/85 set. Either way, they are under a grand and I know a guy who owns both gibson LP, and a shecter blackjack, he like the blackjack better. I own a jackson with the 81/85 set myself but the next guitar I buy will be a shecter c-1, maybe a classic or maybe the hellraiser.
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 13
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
10/07/2005 5:29 am
I like fender strats and teles, but i also grab a les paul quite often...why cant we just get along... :)
WWSD? What would stevie do?
# 14
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
10/07/2005 4:40 pm
Originally Posted by: PoleraI like fender strats and teles, but i also grab a les paul quite often...why cant we just get along... :)

I agree, I love my gibson SG, but the next guitar I buy will probably be a tele! (or a tele copy) enough of the age old dispute between gibson or fender, the question should really be making out with 2 chicks at once vrs. getting a new guitar

me? I'll take the 2 chicks at once so long as I get to pick which 2 chicks it is..
my spyspace
# 15
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
10/07/2005 8:01 pm
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrs... the question should really be making out with 2 chicks at once vrs. getting a new guitar ...
[font=trebuchet ms]Y'mean I can't do both??[/font] :confused:
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 16
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
10/08/2005 1:34 am
Originally Posted by: Lordathestrings[font=trebuchet ms]Y'mean I can't do both??[/font] :confused:

I think that was actually a bad question... cause you get a new guitar, then go play live and nail an awesome solo, which is what ALLOWS you to make out with 2 chicks at once.
my spyspace
# 17
Fenderalltheway
Fenderalltheway
10/08/2005 4:22 pm
i mean, i love fenders....duh, but gibsons r stil cool....but ya, fender is the clasical rock guitar,so well...ya
# 18
Fenderalltheway
Fenderalltheway
10/10/2005 1:14 am
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
# 19
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
10/10/2005 1:28 am
I own a Fender Strat and a Gibson SG and I enjoy the company that both provide. However, I do tend to play my Strat more and do react in a biased manner towards it, but that is partially a senority-based view since I've had my Strat for a longer period of time and hold more memories with it. On the other hand, I bought it used, not that that's bad, but I worked my ass off and saved my money up for my SG and bought it brand new so that I could imbed my own personality unto it. It took me a long time to get it and I got it because it was the one I wanted and that alone earns a notable place in my history book since it's actually the first brand new instrument in my collection... well, that I paid for anyway. So both have earned a great deal of respect to me and since I grew up with both Fenders and Gibsons, I don't think I could choose one over the other... maybe. Besides, why compare Fender and Gibson? They're completely different. Why not Gibson and ESP? In that case, Gibson over ESP.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.