Can't hear the gutar.....

RobSm
RobSm
10/04/2005 10:49 am
I am starting to make a little progress in recording.

I have the Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro 2 and a Korg PXR4.

I have a bunch of backing tracks which I can import into Guitar TRacks Pro. ( I have Cool Edit & have tried the tutorials but it doesn't seem to gel with my soundcard...an audiophile).

Anyway I have the backing track in & feed my guitar through the Korg into Guitar Tracks pro...but when I record the guitar it doesn't 'play' with the backing tracks. I can hear it only through headphones from the KORG. It records OK but there are two big problems...

1. Playing with the headphones against the backing tracks throws me big time. I mean my playing SUCKS...well...a lot more than usual...

2. The tone is REALLY un-lifelike.

So My questions are: Does playing using headphones have this effect initially on most people & will I 'get used to it'?

Would miking my amp be a better thing to try?

TIA
Robbo
# 1
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
10/07/2005 3:00 pm
Are you sure you have the recording properties set right? Go through the recording properties of your soundcard and recording program to make sure everything jives with each other.

When recording, I like to mic my amp if I can have it closed off in another room, and listen to it through the monitors. This however isn't alway's ideal, and can be a hassle. So, I usually use one of my POD's straight into my computers soundcard. I have the soundcard record properties set to record sound comming in from the input I'm plugged into, and the same thing with my recording program. The only time I ever use headphones is when I'm recording vocals (gasp!), and I hate them. So, I can't really help you out much with that.

Hope you get things straightened out. I'm anxiouis to hear those sweet guitars you built!
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 2
RevRaz
RevRaz
10/07/2005 7:33 pm
Sounds like something is not set right in your SoundCard's mixer program to allow whatever line you are coming in on into it to record.

Which line on the soundcard are you using to come in on?
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.