Help needed outlining a good lesson set

Just.Trey
Just.Trey
10/03/2005 12:07 pm
I am fairly new to the guitar, but have been practicing on my own for several months. I can grab most of the cords, identify notes on most of the strings, read tab (ok, not great). My biggest thing is I do not have a great plan as far as a good lesson should be.

I start out playing the acending/decending scale on the first 4 strings w/ my metronome on 90bpm using 1st a downstroke, then upstroke, finally alternating. I do this until I am bored or 10 minutes or so.

I then move on to playing chords G, C, D, A, E. I do this slowly concentrating on proper fingering and not muting other strings, then move up to a strum while attempting to change chords. I have recently moved to playing them as suggested here on several of the lessons. Playing one string then the rest of the chord, then another string and the remaining strings of the chord ect.

I have even began the PO, HO exercise.

The problem is I become bored rather quick and begin noodleing a bit, playing the first few bars of "Smoke on the Water", maybe back to the scales then I am pretty bored. :(

I want to dedicate a good period of time practicing, as I am fortunate enough to be able to devote extra time to this. Are there any suggestions?

I was a while ago trying to learn "Strairway to Heaven", "Wish You Were Here", and "Mother" but have lost the tabs. "Stairway to Heaven" was a bit ahead of me.

Thanks,
Trey
# 1
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
10/04/2005 9:06 pm
Sounds like you're off to a good start already. Losing focus and getting stuck in ruts is part of learning the guitar.

Maybe you're into this kind of music?
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 2
drivingburnt
drivingburnt
10/04/2005 11:10 pm
Hey Trey - You've got a great start going and I think that the most important thing that you're doing is playing. Alot of the time you just don't get the time to play so no matter if you spend 10 minutes playing scales and another 10 just noodling around as you call it is great. The more you play the easier it becomes and the more fun you'll have with it. I find if I alternate between doing scales and then working on something that I really really want to learn, it makes things alot more fun. I also found that spending shorter amounts of time on things made it alot easier too. I could play for an hour and cover 10 different things so alot of it is really up to want you want to do and where you want to go with it.
Hope this helps out some.
Don't forget - H A V E F U N !!!! :p
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Got To Love Those Shredding Grannies[/FONT]
# 3
Just.Trey
Just.Trey
10/05/2005 4:18 am
Thanks. I thought I was doing okay trying to get that muscle memory down, trying to learn the fretboard, and stretching to make the chords. I guess I am wanting things to come to me faster somehow. :rolleyes:
Well, I guess I will add some things as I feel I am progressing, like pentatonic scales, apreggios, ect. :eek:

Thanks,
Trey
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.