major scale....root?

musicgu7
Yo mamma is so fat...
musicgu7
Yo mamma is so fat...
10/02/2005 2:34 am
Hi,
I found an image on the net which explains the major scale...and they have a graphic they say to practice with and to memorize the roots...the graphic is below...but how do i know whats the root?

Thanks,
Ryan

Edit: For some reason I dont have that upload box/option under my "additional options" :mad:
- They call it "PMS" because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken.

- Ah, yes, divorce.., from the Latin word meaning to rip out a man's genitals through his wallet. -- Robin Williams
# 1
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
10/02/2005 2:55 am
The Root is in red.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 2
x0o_BurnOut_o0x
x0o_BurnOut_o0x
10/02/2005 3:57 am
I despise those diagrams...I can never understand what it means. how can you have 4 roots in the same diagram?thought there was only spossed to be one..
We've been dancin' with Mr. Brownstone...
# 3
musicgu7
Yo mamma is so fat...
musicgu7
Yo mamma is so fat...
10/02/2005 4:09 am
Originally Posted by: x0o_BurnOut_o0xI despise those diagrams...I can never understand what it means. how can you have 4 roots in the same diagram?thought there was only spossed to be one..

Wheres the fourth? :confused:
I see only 3 reds

- Ah, yes, divorce.., from the Latin word meaning to rip out a man's genitals through his wallet. -- Robin Williams
# 4
ScottMoney
ScottMoney
10/02/2005 6:16 am
Is the image of frets 0-12? if it is, that's how i learned the major scale. learn all 5 positions and then once you know them each individually and up and down without thinking, start thinking about connecting them (i.e. sliding up and down the fretboard). that's what i did at least and it's worked out REALLY well. I think it's the best approach. Then after you get comfortable with it, you'll realize all this stuff people keep talking about ionian and dorian modes etc., you already know. maybe that will get you started or maybe you already knew that...
# 5
Fretfire
Fretfire
10/02/2005 1:35 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraThe 3 roots in that diagram are all the same note, just in different octaves.

Yeah, thats right, they are the same , its just to show the pattern in different octaves.
Guitarplaying is 1 Percent Inspiration, 99 Percent Perspiration... :)
# 6
Fretfire
Fretfire
10/02/2005 1:36 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraThe 3 roots in that diagram are all the same note, just in different octaves.

Yeah, thats right, they are the same , its just drawn to show the pattern in different octaves.
Guitarplaying is 1 Percent Inspiration, 99 Percent Perspiration... :)
# 7
musicgu7
Yo mamma is so fat...
musicgu7
Yo mamma is so fat...
10/02/2005 2:58 pm
Originally Posted by: ScottMoneyIs the image of frets 0-12? if it is, that's how i learned the major scale. learn all 5 positions and then once you know them each individually and up and down without thinking, start thinking about connecting them (i.e. sliding up and down the fretboard). that's what i did at least and it's worked out REALLY well. I think it's the best approach. Then after you get comfortable with it, you'll realize all this stuff people keep talking about ionian and dorian modes etc., you already know. maybe that will get you started or maybe you already knew that...

Umm....Am a bit confused....
"5 positions" ?

What am i missing again? I thought the diagram showed only one position...
and nope, dont have a clue as what the "ionian and dorian modes" are :( heard about them though

Thanks,
Ryan

# 8
gogogo
gogogo
10/02/2005 3:14 pm
Positions refer the what note your root starts on like G, A,B,C,D,E Ect
# 9
musicgu7
Yo mamma is so fat...
musicgu7
Yo mamma is so fat...
10/02/2005 3:33 pm
Originally Posted by: gogogoPositions refer the what note your root starts on like G, A,B,C,D,E Ect

Hey,
thanks for replying.

But how would it be just 5 positions then?

A-G = 7 positions...thats not counting the sharps/flats either...
so, what am i missing again?

This (beginner) stage is realllllly frustrating....so many questions :(
but I guess everyone goes through it...right?

Cheers!

# 10
equator
equator
10/02/2005 8:39 pm
That is just a pattern for the Major Scale that can be used in any key.
It`s actually a two octaves pattern, and it shows you the Root Note in three different spots.
If you wanna play a "G Major Scale", just start the pattern on fret 3 or fret 15, in this case the red dots are gonna fall were the "G" note is.
Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.

# 11
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
10/02/2005 8:57 pm
Originally Posted by: musicgu7Hey,
thanks for replying.

But how would it be just 5 positions then?

A-G = 7 positions...thats not counting the sharps/flats either...
so, what am i missing again?

This (beginner) stage is realllllly frustrating....so many questions :(
but I guess everyone goes through it...right?

Cheers!

He's talking about the different positions in which you can play a major scale with the same root. That's one of the positions you can play a major scale in for a given root.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 12
musicgu7
Yo mamma is so fat...
musicgu7
Yo mamma is so fat...
10/02/2005 9:48 pm
Hi Guys,
Thanks for replying.

That makes it a bit clearer....can any of you point me to where i can find the other 4 positions? I tried google but i think i am using the wrong keywords/phases

Also.....please tell me which positions you guys prefer (and if applicable...why)Sorry for the newbie questions but this is some real interesting s**t... :p

Thanks!

# 13
gogogo
gogogo
10/06/2005 12:05 am
Preference depends one the song your trying to build. I myself dont use the major scale much being that I play alot of blues but I try and know as many scales in a basic position to give my playing more versitility and just for overall coordination
# 14
musicgu7
Yo mamma is so fat...
musicgu7
Yo mamma is so fat...
10/06/2005 12:51 am
I really love the blues, IMHO few other styles of guitar playing can manipulate your emotions the way blues does...but I have not touched the blues scale as yet...I am trying to do this whole thing step by step and right now the step I am on is the major scale :o

thanks for replying though, your reply confirms no matter what you play its good to have these basics under your belt.

Nobody has replied on the other 4 positions (unfortunatly :( ) and I still have not found much via google...can someone point or kick me in the right direction please?

Thanks!
Ryan

# 15
gogogo
gogogo
10/06/2005 1:18 am
I'm not really sure what is meant by other positions I mean there are other modes which are based upon varying roots. But a major chord has the same pattern as far as I know.
# 16
musicgu7
Yo mamma is so fat...
musicgu7
Yo mamma is so fat...
10/06/2005 11:00 am
Originally Posted by: gogogoI'm not really sure what is meant by other positions I mean there are other modes which are based upon varying roots. But a major chord has the same pattern as far as I know.

Maybe thats why i have not had much luck on Google, I am getting pretty fluid with the major scale (using the pattern i pasted above) and am getting some muscle memory so i think i will be moving on soon...any idea what those other "modes" are called...or any keywords i can use to find more info on them?

BTW, how long have you been playing blues?

Thanks,
Ryan

# 17
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
10/06/2005 4:42 pm
Originally Posted by: musicgu7Maybe thats why i have not had much luck on Google, I am getting pretty fluid with the major scale (using the pattern i pasted above) and am getting some muscle memory so i think i will be moving on soon...any idea what those other "modes" are called...or any keywords i can use to find more info on them?

BTW, how long have you been playing blues?

Thanks,
Ryan

Probably best not to search the internet for "positions" you might end up with something VERY different than what you seek! :D

Now that I have time, let me answer all your questions. The people referring to positions are referring to something that can benefit or limit your scalar playing. Imagine the fretboard laying in front of you. Now imagine that instead of the frets, there are note names (A,B,C, etc.). That's what your guitar really is: a way to play various notes. Since we're talking about the C major scale, I'll keep going with that. Every note in that scale will be on the fretboard in various places (C-D-E-F-G-A-B). Just draw a picture of the fretboard and write out where those notes are, then you'll see the different patterns you can switch between. That's what they're talking about. While they do definitely help you play the scales faster, patterns can also lead to ruts. Just memorize the scale on the entire fretboard.

The other modes are
Dorian
Locrian
Aeolian
Lydian
Mixolydian
Phrygian

There are a few more modes, but they're more obscure and not something you need to worry about now.

If you want to play the blues, try dorian mode in combination with the b5 blues note. Also a #7 can occasionally sound nice.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 18

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.