Help

Ifreak
Ifreak
09/25/2005 10:17 pm
Could someone tell me what a scale is and what its use is? wow i feel like an idiot i've been playing like 2 years and still dont know the basics. :confused:
# 1
eusuntuncrocodi
eusuntuncrocodi
09/26/2005 7:44 pm
The same thing happened to me, and I've been playing for 2 years as well. No I don't really know this thing very well, but I can tell you what I understood. IF you take the c major scale and you play it over the C major chord, you will find out that it doesn't sound false.(i THINK)
i can tell you, from experience, that you can use the BLUES SCALE, because it is easier to improvise solos. A lot of solos are made with notes from the blues scale. You can try to improvise a solo over a song. it's easier in blues.
If the song is in E, you can mix together the notes in E Blues SCale. With a little practice you can make cool solos.
By playing scales you can also improve your speed, technique, and you can do warm-ups.
# 2
Ifreak
Ifreak
09/27/2005 1:55 am
Originally Posted by: eusuntuncrocodiIF you take the c major scale and you play it over the C major chord, you will find out that it doesn't sound false.(i THINK)

Um I'm kind of an idiot :rolleyes: so can someone explain this to me in an easier to understand way?
# 3
gogogo
gogogo
09/27/2005 2:18 am
This is a extremely large topic to large to be explained here i would recommend going to cyberfret.com from there you can navigate to scales. I would recommend you start off with the major and minor scales. Keep in mind major and minor scales can be moved all over the entire fretboard and depending on their root they will give your solos a different sound. Now if you can tell me what music you like i can further steer you in the right direction :D . I know it may seem confusing but scales will really improve your technique and soloing. Dont bogg yourself down trying to learn multiple scales. Doing this will only make it harder to learn. Take it slow. Maybe someone else can tell you a little more in the way of theory than i can explain. :D Good Luck
# 4
Ifreak
Ifreak
09/27/2005 2:28 am
ok I appreciate all the replies but i guess what i'm really asking is, Is the a certain way or method to building a guitar solo?
# 5
quickfingers
quickfingers
09/27/2005 5:07 am
yes, a SCALE. theres way too much to dwell into such a general topic. everybody asks this question, trying to find the magic answer. theres no magic code for a guitar solo, its just learning scales and practice, practice, practice. some are easier than others. usually blues based solos are the easiest. that doesnt mean that a "blues" scale cant be used for anything else though, i mean, half of anything youve ever heard is probably derived from the pentatonic scale. all rock, be it metal or adult contemporary, is probably built relatively the same. it takes time to realize the similarities between all of them, so dont expect solos to just pop into your head. get a book, learn the beginners stuff. it sucks, but you have to learn to crawl before you walk.
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 6
Ifreak
Ifreak
09/27/2005 4:19 pm
so what you are all saying is scales help you in your ideas and speed for a solo?

P.S. I really apreciate all of you for answering all my questions guitar tricks is awsome! :D
# 7
guitarist101
GT Instructor
guitarist101
GT Instructor
09/27/2005 5:47 pm
When you're building a solo, you can use various scales (major, natural minor, etc..) to help find the notes that *you* would like ot hear in the solo. If you're ever really stuck on a solo then try using a riff from a popular song (to add a comedic value or something to the solo - to further drag the audience into the piece). You can play Britney Spears' "Oops I did it again" to lead off a solo, or play the "Freebird" (Lynyrd Skynyrd) solo before going on to something totally different (completely you).
# 8
Ifreak
Ifreak
09/28/2005 12:48 am
thanks i understand now (i think) !
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.