Classical guitar fingerstyle = Acoustic fingerstyle ??

BluesShredder
BluesShredder
05/15/2001 12:42 pm
Hello,
I am thinking to start taking lessons from a teacher to learn how to play fingerstyle, if i want to play acoustic blues fingerstyle taking classical guitar lessons will be a help?? or the thechnique used in classical guitar is different than the thechnique is used in acoustic??

Blues Shredder
Peter
# 1
fingers
fingers
05/15/2001 2:14 pm
Most classical music is played on acoustic nylon string guitars. Classical fingerstyle uses all the fingers of the right hand. Fingerstyle blues playing is derived from alternating base picking using usually three fingers (thumb index and middle.) All the lesons I ever had were connected to bluegrass and folk style picking. I found they were very helpfull in picking up blues fingerstyle. They are all more alike than classical guitar. I wouldn't say one could not benefit from classical training, but it wouldn't be exxential to learning blues fingerstyle picking.
# 2

05/15/2001 7:53 pm
Classical technique is the king of fingerstyle. If you want to play with your fingers, you won't go wrong with classical technique (that is of course if you learn it right). There are differences between the way a classical player fingerpicks and folk-style fingerpicking; mainly that a classical player has long nails whereas a folk (or blues or rock or whatever) doesn't.
# 3
BluesShredder
BluesShredder
05/16/2001 8:07 am
You mean that the classical guitarist hits the strings with his nails and an acoustic guitarist hits his strings with his fingertips? i cant play classical guitar using my fingertips and not my nails??

Blues Shredder
Peter
# 4
LuigiCabrini
LuigiCabrini
05/16/2001 10:41 am
"Classical fingerstyle uses all the fingers of the right hand."
Actually the pinky isn't used in classical guitar.
That's correct, you won't be able to get optimal tone playing classical guitar if you never grow out your nails. Nails are a more precise instrument than your fingers. They allow you to control tone a lot better, and they also allow you to play a bit faster, try it. You could play classical guitar using flesh, but it will never really be the same.
# 5
BluesShredder
BluesShredder
05/16/2001 10:49 am
I want to play fingerstyle acoustic blues, will the classical training with the fingertips give any help?
How about playing acoustic with the nails? or they will break?

Blues Shredder
Peter
# 6
LuigiCabrini
LuigiCabrini
05/16/2001 10:55 am
Well if your goal is just to play fingerstyle blues, and you're not really into the classical, don't grow your nails. The techinque will apply, studying classical will get your right hand coordinated, enable your thumb to play bass lines while your other fingers play melodies, and overall make you a competent fingerstyle player in any style. It will make your left hand stronger for things like slurs, etc., though the positioning is a bit different because blues requires you to bend. I say take the classical lessons, you'll learn something either way.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.