making music in the minor pentatonic scale

musicgu7
Yo mamma is so fat...
musicgu7
Yo mamma is so fat...
09/17/2005 1:46 am
Hey,
I have an acustic guitar and I have been practicing the minor pentatonic all over the fretboard and am pretty fluent with it.
The other day i downloaded a clip of a guy playing a little blues and other stuff only on the minor pentatonic scale and it sounded fantastic...
how do you guys do that?

I mean, how do you start to improv there? which goes where, how long and so on....
He was on an electric...but you guys do improv on a acustic as well dont ya?
Any small parts i can practice on so i can feel like i am actually making some music?

I'm willing to put in the hard work...but need some guidance....am even willing to buy an electric if I need to

Thanks in advance,
Ryan
- They call it "PMS" because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken.

- Ah, yes, divorce.., from the Latin word meaning to rip out a man's genitals through his wallet. -- Robin Williams
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
09/17/2005 3:24 am
[font=trebuchet ms]Take a tip from the jazzers - do your lessons and your homework, but when it come time to play, put all that away and just play. Knowledge of scales and modes is like learning vocabulary and the rules of grammar. It gives you the tools to allow you to express yourself well, but ya gotta have somethin' to [u]say[/u]!

So kick back, listen to the rhythm, sense the chord structure, let melodies suggest themselves to you, and then hit those strings and let everyone else hear what you're hearing in your head. It ain't the instrument you play; it's how you play it. Acoustic guitar, electric guitar, or a washtub with a broomstick and a piece of rope - whatever allows you to express what you're feeling is what works in that particular time and place.

It takes some self-assurance to let that happen, so it's important to seek out places and situations that will foster your creativity without getting into ego clashes. If you have some musical friends you can jam with, that's ideal. Sometimes I sign up for a lesson or two just to swap chops with someone I've never played with before. It's all good.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
09/20/2005 8:43 pm
I've been experimenting with minor pentatonics and a while ago I tried to 'make more of the notes ' with slight bends ( down and relax ) and I think its called Vibrato ( down and relax continually) - I found that my wrist action was responsible for giving me the very fast movement.
My soloing is definetly becoming more colourfull
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 3
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
09/23/2005 2:50 am
Nice answer LATS. I think jammin with other people helps you lots!
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.