Same equip., different tone.....

HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
09/07/2005 5:10 pm
I play in 2 bands....In my original band, we tune our guitars down 1 step, then drop the D to a C (dropped D tuning, 1 step down). In my cover band, we of course tune standard. I usually keep my SG tuned down for the original band and my Ernie Ball tuned standard for the cover band. Last night we had practice with the cover band, and I decided to tune my SG up and play it. I noticed immediately that I couldn't the get the tone I was looking for. I never realized that changing the tuning would make that much difference in tone...Anyone else ever experience this? I know it's b/c of the different tension on the strings, but I never would have guessed the tones would be like night and day....
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 1
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
09/08/2005 3:29 am
it may take a few days but the tone will come back if you keep it tuned up.
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 2
aschleman
aschleman
09/08/2005 1:50 pm
Different woods have different tonal qualities... therefore making the guitar have different tones under different circumstances. Your SG is most definitely made of Mohogany which is a pretty dense wood. This allows it to transfer large wave frequencies better than most light woods... Where as the tighter frequencies tend to get mellowed out due to the density and weight of the wood. The Ernie Ball is probably a more "Strat type wood" (alder, poplar, basswood, ash... etc.). These woods are lighter thus making them brighter... You don't see a lot of people playing tuned down guitars that are made of any of these woods... because they don't get the deep growl that Mohogany does... You are probably comparing the Mohogany tone to that of the Ernie Ball.. and they're not going to be the same. Mohogany is it's best when used for deeper tones...
# 3
HDJ
HDJ
09/08/2005 6:20 pm
No, I wasn't comparing the SG to the Ernie Ball.....I was comparing the SG to itself....It has a totally different tone when it's tuned standard vs. tuned down a step.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 4
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
09/09/2005 1:30 pm
I notice the same thing with both my guitars. Other than the obvious pitch difference, lower tunnings have a looser, chunkier feel, where standard tunnings have a tighter more focused feel. I like the characteristics of both. I also find that both my guitars work equaly well at both standard and a whole step down. Lower tunnings also give a darker feel along with tone. I usually keep my guitars a half step down, which seems to be a happy medium of both characteristics. I'm able to get the chunkyness, but still keep things together. I actually prefer a whole step down though.

[Rant/]
It really pisses me off when guitarist bitch about people who tune their guitars low. True enough, there are some bands who do that and just chug away on the bottom few strings, but then there are those who do it for the tone and feel it creates. So, to anybody who comes in here and say's people who tune there guitars low don't know how to play, I say piss off until you know what the hell you're talking about! :mad:
[Rant]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 5
HDJ
HDJ
09/09/2005 7:10 pm
Yeah, I get tired of people saying that also......I tune down b/c I like the extra chunk you get, plus, tuning down helps our singer stay in key....he has a low voice.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 6
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
09/10/2005 3:59 am
Agreed...I tune down to C, and everything inbetween, and that's usually all on the same axe, an SG as well coincidentally.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.