Picks

Martin Spaans
Martin Spaans
05/11/2001 10:30 am
I use 2-3 mm picks, both for rythm and solo.
Can anyone tell me the difference between the light and heavy picks for soloing and rythm. Sometimes I try a light pick but I change to a heavy one. Since i began to play I use the heavy ones. Somehow I'm most convenient with it.
Or am I'm missing something when I don't really try the light ones?
# 1
PeptoB
PeptoB
05/11/2001 3:36 pm
I'm an acoustic player and I personally like to use light picks (.3-.5mm) when I need to get that percussive sound of stroking the strings.
# 2
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
05/12/2001 7:07 am

I used to use those huge picks, called Big Stubbies.

I switched over to a light pick a while ago. As far as I can tell the benefits of a lighter pick are less picking noise, improved control, and easier rhythm playing.

The only benefit I've found in using thicker picks is a phatter tone when playing leads. But if you're playing anything fast or switching between chords and rhythm a lot, forget it, use a light pick.
# 3
LuigiCabrini
LuigiCabrini
05/13/2001 12:03 am
"I used to use those huge picks, called Big Stubbies.

I switched over to a light pick a while ago. As far as I can tell the benefits of a lighter pick are less picking noise, improved control, and easier rhythm playing.

The only benefit I've found in using thicker picks is a phatter tone when playing leads. But if you're playing anything fast or switching between chords and rhythm a lot, forget it, use a light pick."

I agree partially, but mostly not. I think you are lumping thick picks and big picks into one category. While the big stubby may be both thick and large, there are lots of small thick picks (Dunlop Jazz III, or Jim Dunlop "Stubby") that I think are optimal for playing fast melodies. You're right, however, in that larger, thinner picks are easier for strumming chords.
Playing with a thicker pick means that the pick has less give, and the string will give before the pick will. When you play with a thin pick, you have less control over the string because the pick can bend and compromise your attack. When I'm playing single note lines that require a lot of accuracy, and when I want the subtlety of the attack to come through, I always use thick picks.
# 4
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
05/13/2001 12:42 am
I use heavy picks purely because they're the ones that survive me (I currently have .012's on my strat). The thick picks are more managable for rythm if you choke up on it a bit... give the string a little more leverage than your fingers.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5
Joseph
Joseph
05/13/2001 3:11 am
From the very beginning, and also lately Ive just been using my fingers, I love to play finger style. Its a great way to build a strong level of coordination, it adds so much need fluidity to your style. Whenever I'm stuck on certain compositions, a great fingerstyle intro always does the trick, it gets me out a jam. Ita great when you can sit back and watch the sun set on your porch, with your favorite acoustic guitar and just play naturally, whatever comes into your head.

But when I use picks, it all depends on my style, but for the most part I use heavy ones..

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 6
PeptoB
PeptoB
05/16/2001 4:41 am
Speaking of picks, what's with those huge triangular picks? I've seen Hendrix, Clapton, Tim Reynolds etc. use them and bought a couple for myself too but I'm having trouble even holding it right to start with. When and how do you use those triangluar picks and do they have anymore use than its funky looks?
# 7
John O'Carroll
John O'Carroll
05/16/2001 12:27 pm
Triangle picks: 1st one I used when starting out. Seems easier to hold on to (for a beginner I guess); the only other benefit is that you've got three points on each pick to wear out - how'w that for economy ! I came across one at our regular rehearsal recently - ahhhh nostalgia.
# 8

05/16/2001 1:46 pm
I use a light pic on lead (more control) and I used to use light pic on rythem too, but now Im trying to use the harder once because u get a better sound and much heavyer sound. On chords I only use my fingers...

I just have to say somethink; ( I read this on guitarworld.com written by Dimebag Darell, pantera) Dimebag wrote that he scrached (is it how its written?) his pic, so that if he got a bit swetty on his fingers it wouldn't slip out of his finger.

I tried it, and it workes great!

# 9
MajinMojo
MajinMojo
05/16/2001 10:10 pm
I tend to use the ligher pics because they allow me to go faster. Whenever i use a heavy pic i tend to get hung up on the strings because the motion of my wrist and hand gets interrupted by the extra "stiffness" of the pic, rather than the pic just sliding easily over.
# 10
zepo
zepo
05/17/2001 12:31 am
I love the dunlop tortex in 1mm and 1.14mm they cover the whole basis plus for me i have more control with a thicker pick and i have a aggressive right hand when i start to play so i need the thicker pick because thin picks get destroyed in my hands within minutes. Plus when i use thinner picks i can't get those lovely harmonics to come out as easy.
"I need a girl who's as hot as my guitar."
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.