Gibson SG

panterrules925
panterrules925
08/29/2005 11:46 pm
I play a Gibson SG and whenever i put the guitar in the rythem pickup position it becomes really bassy and i was wondering would the positining of the pickup matter ( what i mean by positioning is how close the pickups are to the strings. ) Any info would be great.
# 1
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
08/30/2005 4:07 pm
You could try lowering the pup a little. Not sure if that will work, but it's worth a try. I do know that if a pup is too close to the strings, the magnetic field will actually pull on the strings and kill the sustain. Lowering it might take a little of the bass out of it...
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 2
aschleman
aschleman
08/30/2005 4:33 pm
The neck pickup is suppose to be bassy... lowering the pickup will take some bass away, but not just bass... it will make it sound quieter aswell... so you lose treble frequencies as well. You can adjust your tone knobs so that it is turned all the way to the treble side... or you can just play in the middle position with your bridge pickup on as well to balance out the highs and the lows. You might be using a high gauge of strings... my guess would be GHS Boomers... you can switch to a lighter gauge of strings and it would decrease bass a lot. I play with the Zakk Wylde Boomers on my duoble fat strat and it's pretty much a baritone with a standard scale neck. It has a unique tone... it's really bassy too... but I like it... if I want to lose the bass tones I switch to the neck or crank the tone knob back to the treble side... OR I just switch for my American Strat... Good luck, hope this was hopeful
# 3
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
08/30/2005 4:33 pm
I had an Ibanez with Seymour Duncans in it. It had the same problem. Lowering the pickup will help a little but I don't think it will totally fix it. Try adjusting your amp a bit. Turn your bass down and if you have a low res knob turn it down too.
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 4
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
09/03/2005 5:54 pm
I know what you mean, I also have a gibson sg with the same problem, but I've just learned to love it, it puts excellent feel into a clean section, and for rythm work. I use the neck pickup alot, and the middle position in between the two pickups alot too. but what I did was turned the tone knob all the way to the treble side, then it's not so bad. it's still got definate more bass, but it's bearable then.
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.