Had to have my dog put down....

HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
08/19/2005 7:17 pm
Man, I'm so bummed. I had to have my dog Eddie put down on Wednesday. He was with me for 10 years and we had a bond like no other. It was a total shock. I took him in b/c of a small cyst that had formed on his back leg, well, the cyst ended up being harmless, just a fatty cyst. But the vet was examining him and found a lump in his abdomen. They did x-ray's and found it to be the size of a grapefruit. No other masses showed up on the x-ray, so we were hoping it was a benign tumor, or if it was cancer, that it hadn't spread yet. I had them operate to remove the mass....Well, the vet called and said he was eaten up with cancer, had hundreds of smaller masses everywhere. She said he would have a hard time recovering from the surgery b/c of all the cancer in him, and also said that the one big mass was tangled up in his intestines, so she couldn't remove it, then she asked me if I wanted her to put him down while he was still under from the surgery. At first I said no, that I couldn't do that, but after leaving work to go talk to her about it, I decided that would be the best thing for him, so I called her back before I even got there....Like I said, the vet said he wouldn't fully recover from the surgery, and I did not want to have him go through any pain, so I made that dreaded decision to have him put down.

I had to vent on this.....I'm still tore up today over it, it's gonna take me a while to get over this....He was my buddy...

R.I.P. Eddie, you will be missed buddy!!!!!!
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 1
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
08/19/2005 7:27 pm
Damn dude...that is rough. Your dogs can become some of your best friends I know...thus the 'ole saying. I know your pain, my dog (a huge chocolate lab) grew up with me when I was a teenager. Until one day he got trapped inside our kitchenette room (somehow the door closed behind him) outside by our pool where he stayed. Being it was a typical Texas summer day, he died from heat exhaustion and we found him on the floor. Sad thing is he had tried to jump out the open window above the counter, but he was so big (120+ lbs.) he couldn't make it all the way. You just have to try and forget the nature of the death, and remember the good times. I'd have to agree with your decision though...you did the right thing.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 2
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
08/19/2005 7:49 pm
Man, I am so sorry to hear about that. I understand how you feel though, I had to go through a very similar situation with my dog not too long ago (at least it doesn't seem too long ago :( ). Mine got very sick and became too weak to recover and was in a lot of pain, so I had to make that dreaded decision. I know it was for the best, as I know you made the right decision. It's never easy, but just remember the good times, and that you did the right thing for you best friend. He'd be licking your face right now thanking you! Take care my friend, and don't let it eat you up too bad.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 3
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
08/19/2005 7:50 pm
I'm so sorry dude. I love dogs, they're my favorite animals. I wish dogs lived as long as humans.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 4
HDJ
HDJ
08/19/2005 8:03 pm
Thanks for the kind words everyone.....He was my best friend. I have been keeping the good memories, but it's gonna take me a while.

I had to do the same thing with his sister, Molly, about 2 years ago. She got cancer as well. She got really sick, but the vet was able to remove her mass which was on her spleen, but said she might have a year because it had already spread, although at the time the smaller spots were very small, like sand. I don't think she was ever in pain, she never showed it, but one day I went to feed 'em and she had a seizure. I called the vet, and she said that if she had another one within 24 hours, that was a sign that the cancer had went to her brain. She had another one about an hour after the first and I knew what I had to do. I've still got BH. He is the other sibling and is grieving really bad also. I've had to hand feed him, he quit eating on his own....He's getting better now though. They did that when we lost Molly also. I'm really nervous about him now, the vet said I should bring him in to have him checked based on Molly and Eddies history of cancer.....That's gonna be tough taking him in. I'm kind of gun shy of the vet right now, although I know the vet does nothing but the best for the animals....It's so amazing how attached you can become to your pets. I know I do, they are like family members.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 5
Zamboni
Zamboni
08/19/2005 8:07 pm
That really sucks man. I love dogs. They're the best pets and animals as far as I'm concerned. But I think you did the right thing. I think it's better to have him resting in peace than living in pain

P.S. I saw the pic of Eddie, and he was a beautiful dog man.

Again, sorry about this bro.

-Mike
# 6
whittysx
whittysx
08/19/2005 8:20 pm
I'm so sorry about that. I can't imagine how hard that must be. It choked me up a bit. I also have a dog that I love and I never want to think about anything happening to her. It's really sweet of you to think of your dog when making the decision. He was very pretty.

I hope that BH turns out alright. I'll be praying for you.
# 7
stackny
stackny
08/19/2005 9:32 pm
Sorry man. I know how ya feel. I had my dog put down 2 years ago. He was 14 and I was 16 so I didnt remember a time without him. Its tough.
Dont shoot yourself in the head.
# 8
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
08/20/2005 3:25 am
Sorry to hear it man. I know when my dog died a few years back I was sad for a while. He went with all us watching in our livingroom. He had bone cancer, died before he could start the kemo. Even my other dog showed signs of sadness, he still looks everytime he hears the word rock or close to it. :(
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 9
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
08/20/2005 3:37 am
Well, I sincerely give my condolences dude. Plenty of us here understand how that one goes. No matter how you look at it, it just plain sucks. To form such a bond to the animal and to suddenly be forced to let go... well, I'm sorry to hear about it all the same.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 10
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
08/20/2005 7:12 am
I'm so sorry to hear that. he was a beautiful dog though. I can only imagine how attached you were to him. I'm attached to my dog and I've only had her like 2 weeks!
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 11
J.Hammett
J.Hammett
08/20/2005 7:24 am
Man I'm sorry. It's must pretty rough right now bonding with a dog and then having no choice but to lose it. I have a dog and just thinking about the idea of him going away just frightens me.
# 12
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
08/20/2005 4:56 pm
Sorry man, i have three dogs and understand your pain. Hope you get another dog that can fill the void left by this one. Cheer up and play some blues and remember the good times!
WWSD? What would stevie do?
# 13
Gibson 335
Gibson 335
08/21/2005 6:52 pm
Sorry bout your dog man but you did the right thing, he never new he was gone, only you take the pain
you could write a song for him
take it easy
Rock N Roll Baby
# 14
killerqueen
killerqueen
08/21/2005 8:26 pm
i'm really sorry about your dog frick. i know how attached you can get to them (i dont know what i'd do without mine).
just know that you did the right thing in not letting him suffer.
Elvis Lives (in my basement)
# 15
HDJ
HDJ
08/22/2005 4:15 pm
I really appreciate everyone's sympathy. It means a lot. It's good to know that there are still careing people out there.....

BH is getting better, although he still hasn't completely gotten his appetite back, but he is eating some now on his own, been having to hand feed him to get him to eat. Hopefully he'll be okay soon....

Anyway, I want to thank everyone for the kind words. It's helped me in my grieving....

Joe
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.