Which style do you favor the most?

Joseph
Joseph
05/07/2001 3:28 am
How much has your style changed over the past few years, or perhaps months?

When I first started out on guitar I focused primarily on fingerstyle, classical pieces. I started out on the panio from a very young age, being that I was well in tune with theory and the notes, I wan'ted to feel very comfortable with the guitar from the very first stages. Gradually my style progressed into rock and blues, deep down inside I'm more of a songwriter than a technical virtuouso. But still, I love to rip out those killer shred solos every now and then.

Ive practiced all fields on the guitar, where I don;t believe I have left one stone unturned, but after playing various techniques over the past several years, I always tend to go back to the blues, naturally whenever I pick up my electric or acoustic, I tend to break out into a blues solo, its almost like I have this weird connection. When writing solos, I always tend to rely on the blues scales, we all love to play naturally with the tape recorder running, after the recording process is finished my solos always sound very bluesy.

Its not exactly a curse, I consider it as a gift, :).

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 1
James Hetfield Is Jesus
James Hetfield Is Jesus
05/26/2001 12:24 am
Heavy palm mutted and fast as physicly possible
JAMES HETFIELD IS JESUS
# 2
Kirk Hammett is God
Kirk Hammett is God
05/26/2001 12:37 am
When I started out, I just wanted to play the fastest and heaviest ****in' music out there.

Not much has changed.

Actually, now I like to create good harmonized riffs kinda like classical stuff and I find it quite fun.

While still making it fast and heavy, though.
MYK
# 3
Wide
Wide
05/31/2001 10:33 am
I've been playing classical guitar for 7 years....but now I go for that chicken pickin' pluckin country stuff!

yeeehaaaw!!!!!!

# 4
Joseph
Joseph
05/31/2001 7:06 pm
Originally posted by Wide
I've been playing classical guitar for 7 years....but now I go for that chicken pickin' pluckin country stuff!

yeeehaaaw!!!!!!

You know there are certain guitar techniques that we swear we would never experiment with, I'm not really a huge country western fan, but its great to plays these licks on guitar. Its funny how we can easily gain a much better perspective for the many different varieties of music once we try them for ourselves. I love rock music just like the next guy, but theres nothing wrong with altering your style every now and then, it makes things more interesting, and practice sessions tend to proceed with more ease...

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 5
Elmo45
Elmo45
06/06/2001 6:39 am
I'm still having to much fun with the Bluesy stuff.
My friends I occasionally jam with can appreciate those flatted 5th stabs!
# 6
Bardsley
Bardsley
06/07/2001 5:27 am
I like counntry licks, because I use them to joke. There is nothing quite like the comic element of shoving a few classic country cliches (the CCC, only slightly less scary than the KKK) into a rock solo. He he he. Het that got me thinking. Krusty the Kloown has twice appeared on shows in the SImpsons that are KKK, the Krusty Kinda Kristmas, and the Krusty Komedy Klassics. He he he, a jewish clown celebrating the birth of Christ with a KKK title is really very funny. And the time when he leaps out on stage on the Krusty Komedy Klassic and sees the three white Ks in the background. "KKK? That's not good...." And then everybody boos and throws things at him.
AAAAH ha ha ha. Maybe you don'y understand, I am laughing so hard it is hard to type. Aaah the SImpsons, truly a Krazily Klassic Kartoon.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 7
Wide
Wide
06/07/2001 3:34 pm
hehe... I've also noticed that many people see country music as a joke... When I played "Rudolph the red nosed reindeer" on the banjo in front of everybody in my school, almost everybody laughed....they thought I wasn't serious...well, I wastn't...
# 8
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
06/07/2001 5:23 pm
I play lead guitar in a country band....chickin' pickin' cluckin....and so on....and even I don't take it seriously sometimes! It's just a funny way of approaching soloing.
Free Backing Tracks At GuitarVoice.com!

"The pursuit of easy things makes men weak."

David O. McKay
# 9
justagal83
Full Access
justagal83
Full Access
02/06/2018 9:17 pm

For me, I play guitar primarily to worship Jesus.

So, I like christian genre.

# 10
jhonitto05
jhonitto05
09/29/2018 9:22 pm

In most styles of fingerpicking guitar, the left hand holds a chord shape and the right hand fingers pick one or two notes at a time with the fingernails. Fingerpicking is often used to accompany a lead instrument or vocalist. In more advanced fingerpicking, both hands are co-ordinated to play bass lines, chords and melodies.

Through the 20th Century, many styles of fingerpicking were developed to a virtuoso level of musicianship. With today’s technology, you can find amazing fingerpickers playing Blues, Ragtime, Celtic Folk, Country, Jazz, Latin and many forms of World music on the internet, particularly on Youtube.

Below is an example of fingerpicking guitar where the player plays the bass lines, chords and melodies. Being able to fingerpick well is an aspiration for many guitarists as it allows them to play entire songs on their own without the accompaniment of additional instruments. Torrent TurboTax Gogoanime

Here Brett Duncan is playing an original fingerpicking rendition entitled “The Longest Mile”.

# 11
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
09/30/2018 12:07 am

To keep everybody out of trouble, especially Guitar Tricks, those who cut and paste from other sites and post it verbatim on the GT forum (such as #11 above) should give full credit//reference for their post.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.