Should I buy this microphone?

matthewchan
matthewchan
08/07/2005 11:36 am
My old cheap mic broke and now I need to buy a new one. I was thinking about getting this one:

The Verse 524 Desk Microphone is ideal for input and voice-over-IP applications including internet voice chat, video conferencing, and multi-player internet gaming. The undirectional noise-canceling microphone filters out background noise and includes an adjustable microphone boom.

Features:
[B]-Unidirectional microphone filters out unwanted background noise to deliver the best possible sound clarity
-Multiple mountings enable the microphone to stand on your desktop or attach to your monitor for space-saving
-Adjustable microphone boom pivot holds its ideal position for the most comfortable use
-8-foot shielded cord with color-coded jack for easy installation.

Specifications:
-8-foot shielded cord with color-coded jacks
-System frequency response: 100-16kHz
-Input sensitivity: -67dB/ubar, -47dBV/Pascal +/-4dB
-Signal input (audio source) Impedance: 2000 ohms
-Microphone power source voltage: 1.5 V DC.

The specs indicate that it's ideal for input and voice-over-IP applications including internet voice chat, video conferencing, and multi-player internet gaming. Does that mean it will also produce good results when recording with my acoustic guitar?

I was also considering this one:

Issue voice commands, record your thoughts, have live chats with audio and videoā€¦ it's all possible with the Logitech Desktop Microphone for the PC. This high performance microphone uses noise-canceling technology for communications that are clear and powerful. And its stylish black design will look great on your desk.
Features:
-Noise-canceling microphone filters out unwanted background noise
-Convenient mute switch for privacy
-Microphone pivots on base to hold preferred position
-Optional monitor mount saves desk space.
-Plugs into microphone input
-3.5mm plug
-Sensitivity: -67dB/ubar, -47dBV/Pascal +/-4dB
-Frequency response: 100-16kHz
-8' shielded cord
-Included in the Box:
-LogitechĀ® Desktop Microphone
-User Guide
-1-year Limited Warranty
-Optional monitor mount

I guess it's good considering my low budget.

(I've replaced the links with the specs).
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/07/2005 11:43 am
I cant get to the link.

However the answer is no, it would be a waist of money as it will sound like crap.

Use a Shure SM57 or a cheep large diaphragm condenser (like a Behringer) and a cheap preamp (for gain, EQ, compression, de-essing, phantom power etc, like a Behringer.also less then 100 bucks on eBay). You will be able to pick em up second hand very cheap off eBay (~100 bucks US each).
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/07/2005 1:12 pm
Yeah, I agree.
Get a shure sm57 or 58 if you're gonna use it as an all round mic for everything.
For vocals and acoustic guitar, get a condensor mic.
I just bought a Rode NT-1 off ebay with shock mount and case for less than $100. Only thing to keep in mind is phantom power on a condensor.
You'll either need a separate power supply or a mixer that can provide phantom power to your mic.
# 3
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/07/2005 5:23 pm
NT1s are niiiiiicccce mics !!!!

They Kick the **** out of the Behringers ! In fact I have one on my shopping list !!
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.