fast fingers

johnny5
johnny5
05/06/2001 2:33 am
hey ya'll i'm kinda having a problem with moveing my fingers fast up and down i get the hang of it but its like my hands get stuck or something like the muscle gets to tight is there like any kinda way i can improve my finger speed ???? thanks for time :-)
jon
# 1
zepo
zepo
05/06/2001 3:06 am
START SLOW!!!!!!! Start slow and build up endurance then slowly build up speed over time, soon you'll be blazing fast and be accurate and your arms,wrists,and fingers will be able to play for hours on end and not get tired at all.
"I need a girl who's as hot as my guitar."
# 2
Bardsley
Bardsley
05/06/2001 5:10 am
It sounds like you are really straining to go fast, which feels right but is all wrong. YOu can only get really fast when you learn to relax as much as possible, as long as you don't let your hand fall off the guitar. Then, when you are relaxed, play slow, and build from there. I am slowly getting speed in my playing, and it only started once I learnt to relax and start slow. By accepting that it isn't going to happen overnight, you actually ge tthere a lot faster than if you try to get to vai speed immediately.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 3
jontait
jontait
05/07/2001 5:02 am
i kinda cheated on the start slow part, and this might work for you too. for a month or two before i could solo, i knew what the scales looked like, so i sat down in front of the tv for a few hours watching movies or whatever was on and walked triplets up and down the guitar in key with whatever music was just on the tv. at first i had to concentrate on it, but after a while i just sort of did it without thinking about it. i got faster and faster without really thinking about it. i'll admit its not the best practice, but it worked great for me developing speed. try to use good technique from the start, hold your pick correctly and think a little bit about your alternate picking because if you don't, your right hand will have to catch up to the speed in your left hand (that happened to me) and it won't sound smooth.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.