whats the best way to practise?

BluesShredder
BluesShredder
05/05/2001 7:53 pm
Hey,
i had a schedule, i was using it for a few months,
i was practising 8 different things about half an hour each one, i got tired of that... i am trying a different approach lately, i am practising all day long 2 or 3 different techniques, the last week i was practising only arpeggios and fingerstyle, this week i am practising only rythym guitar, minor pentatonic and bends.
Has anyone tried to practise like this?
I like practising and i dont believe that just playing anything will do any good

Blues Shredder
Peter
# 1
Fenderblues
Fenderblues
05/05/2001 8:40 pm
Originally posted by BluesShredder
Hey,
i had a schedule, i was using it for a few months,
i was practising 8 different things about half an hour each one, i got tired of that... i am trying a different approach lately, i am practising all day long 2 or 3 different techniques, the last week i was practising only arpeggios and fingerstyle, this week i am practising only rythym guitar, minor pentatonic and bends.
Has anyone tried to practise like this?
I like practising and i dont believe that just playing anything will do any good

Blues Shredder

I think schedules take some of the fun out of playing. You can never practice any technique,scale or piecs to much, however learning a riff or piece will help just as much. As for just playing of course you learn, try getting backing tracks (total guitar/guitar techniques magazines contain these)and play along to them in your own style and your own way not only do you learn but its fun.Playing with others will always be a big help
While I'm sat here, Playin', I'm tryin' to free my mind!
# 2
donnie_k
donnie_k
05/06/2001 6:01 pm
I have never been one for regimented or "structered" practice.Like yesterday everyone left the house, cranked up the stereo, cranked up the amp and just worked on soloing.I guess its just what mood i'm in on what i want to concentrate on.For me the spontanaity of the moment is what makes it fun.
# 3
jontait
jontait
05/07/2001 4:56 am
one of the biggest helps for me is jamming with my friend who is amazing on guitar. i usually play rhythm and watch him go. when we're done i'll try a lot of the techniques he uses on my own. it has really diversified my bag of tricks ;D
i never tried strict practice hours like you do so i dont know how well that works. i do know that you can't force creativity tho.
# 4
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
05/07/2001 7:31 am
Music is a form of expression. Assuming that you have something to say, you can't get your point across clearly unless you have a good vocabulary. And knowing a lot of good words is not enough, unless you also know how to put them together well.

This is where technique comes in. The fastest way to gain the necessary finger dexterity is to practice exercises that are developed specifically for that purpose. Practice based on the various scales gives you a degree of familiarity that makes it much easier to chose the right notes and chords for the music you want to play.

The creative side needs exercise too. Just bashing away is somtimes the best route to new discoveries. :D

You need [u]both[/u]! Go with your mood. The discipline learned through regular practice sessions is a good life skill that can be applied to any activity. But music is an outlet for your creativity. Indulge yourself just as often as you impose structure.

Guitarists that are worth listening to usually combine exemplary technical skill with sparkling inovation. :cool: They have something to say, [u]and[/u] they know how to say it.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5
Martin Spaans
Martin Spaans
05/07/2001 12:53 pm
One of the nicest things I like to do is making a backing track.
Try different scales, modes etc. in several positions, back and forth, sequences, arpeggios for about half an hour and then play on and use my imagination. When I go to a place where they are jamming it's a good preparation. Just play the chords during your exercise and go on.
Find a theme , get loose, return to the theme etc.
In the beginning the jam session in the local club starts with a great guitar player. So that you think , oooh I won't play anymore. But after a few times it gets really fine if you dare to play, in the beginning my hands were shaking but after a few times I started to learn and play together with some great guitar players.

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.