I need some help to buy a guitar...under $700.

shan5
shan5
07/19/2005 8:42 pm
hi guys...i've been playing Electric guitar for almost 2 yrs....but didn't put a lot of effrot to learn it...but now i'm putting a lot of time to learn everything ....i have a cheap guitar right now...but i'm willing to pay...around $700 to buy a new one.....I'm really intrested in Gibson, Fender, or JS 100 (ibanes)......can anyone please suggest a Good guitar..which is good for playing distortion and clean effects, and makes less noise.
regards
# 1
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/19/2005 8:59 pm
If I had the money to spend, I'd go for a set neck, flame top Fender Telecaster (picture below), but my advice to you is to go to all of your local guitar shops and try every guitar in your price range.

Everybody here has different asthetic tastes (visually and sonically), different sized and proportioned hands (making a comfortable neck for some unplayable to others) and there are differeing options presented to us at all of our localities.

Also, remember that when two (as an example) "Tex-Mex" Stratocasters roll out of the plant, even though they have all of the same specs and are made from the same types of wood, they can be very different guitars. So, be sure to try every single one.

Anyway, on with the eye candy:

Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
shan5
shan5
07/19/2005 10:42 pm
Thanks a lot man .... I appreciate ur help and I'll do what u have suggested :)
# 3
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
07/19/2005 11:22 pm
I suggest try around. Nothing worse then ordering 1800 doller guitar and have it not play like the one u tired last year. Although sounds are comparable (not alwasy), playability rarely isnt. With that said...i suggest try the mexican line fenders or highway 1 fenders. I feel that my first guitar (mexcian strat) was good, but i would diffenetly recommand new tuners, as i can go out of tune with one bend :eek:
WWSD? What would stevie do?
# 4
yngwievai
yngwievai
07/20/2005 12:14 am
My suggestions:

Fender Standard Telecaster
ESP mh-400
ESP-ec-400at
Ibanez SZ720
^^^^Yea actually.. it all matters how the guitar feels to you.

But if you get any chance, buy a nice tube amp at a lower price. From fender or something. Like a HOT ROD or BLUES JUNIOR or any One of those fender tubes on that line. 40w tube is JUST enough. (gigs, practice)

HOPE I HELPED A BIT.
# 5
shan5
shan5
07/20/2005 12:37 am
Thanks a lot guys!!!!! I really appreciate all ur help. just one more question...some one told me that if buy a guitar It probably need to get adjusted a little bit.....is that true?. should I take anywhere to get the New guitar adjusted if i buy one?. :)
# 6
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/20/2005 3:29 am
Originally Posted by: shan5Thanks a lot guys!!!!! I really appreciate all ur help. just one more question...some one told me that if buy a guitar It probably need to get adjusted a little bit.....is that true?. should I take anywhere to get the New guitar adjusted if i buy one?. :)

It depends on where you get it.

Some places keep their guitars fairly well setup, others don't. If you buy your guitar from Musician's Friend or some other online place, you'll almost certainly have to take it to a local shop and have them do a setup.

When you settle on your guitar, you should be able to feel most of the things that would require adjustment -- either the strings being too damn high or so low that they're buzzing when you fret in certain places on the neck.

The other big thing is intonation which you'll be able to tell needs fixing if you tune the open strings and your chords don't sound right or if notes get more and more out of tune as you fret further and further up the neck. If you have an electric tuner, this is very easy to check.

If your guitarshop strings their guitars with really light strings and you play heavier ones, you're going to need to have at least that fixed.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.